Hi guys- my E28 is on BaT

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
piperbrothers

Hi guys- my E28 is on BaT

Post by piperbrothers »

muleskinner

Re: Hi guys- my E28 is on BaT

Post by muleskinner »

Nicely sorted car by Alex (@Collin380) and obviously well kept since he sold it. Hope it sells to someone on the board.
piperbrothers

Post by piperbrothers »

The car wouldn't be what it is today without the board-- Besides all the (many) parts I sourced here, the knowledge and inspiration contained here has been invaluable.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

muleskinner wrote: Jul 28, 2020 1:43 PM Nicely sorted car by Alex (@Collin380) and obviously well kept since he sold it. Hope it sells to someone on the board.
Sounds to me it’s more nicely sorted by the current seller compared to when he received it. Similar story to the car cathealer recently sold.

Best of luck on the sale, great combination of stuff. The only real negative is the paint but it should make a great driver for someone.
cek

Post by cek »

I drove this car last week.

It is as solid as any E28 I've driven. And I think I've driven some of the best examples out there.

Engine - A delightful feeling and sounding M30B35. The cam gives it a nice "I have a cam!" idle and may have a little more low-end grunt than the high-compression M30B35 I have in one of my cars. My butt-dyno says the overall power output is close to that motor regardless (my car real-dyno'd at 203hp/226tq at the wheels). The exhaust is quieter (which, frankly, made me a little jealous).

Transmission/Clutch - No complaints and feels exactly like my other E28 that has a Z3 short shift kit.

Suspension/Steering - A bit more jarring on the expansion-joints than my cars due to the 17" wheels than any of my other cars, but very dialed in. I build my cars to be daily drivers and I'd be happy daily driving this car (with 16" wheels). Clearly Bob spent his money well. The steering is as perfect as an E28 can be; almost no (and I mean no, and I also mean almost) slop on center and everything otherwise is tight and right. Tracks perfectly. No rub (I tried <g>). No wobbles. My test drive was thorough and included freeway speeds (with notorious dips and expansion joints) and twisties.

Brakes - I was surprised by how well the brakes on this car worked (modulo ABS, which this car does not have) and dare say are the strongest brakes I've felt on an E28. All my cars have E34 540 big-brake-kits with dustless pads. I suspect the non-dustless pads on this car are the reason.

Interior Mechanicals - It's all manual and everything I tried, including the moon roof, worked as expected. I didn't do a thorough shakedown of everything.

It does seem any issues with this car are cosmetic. Some would be harder to make as perfect as the car's mechanicals (e.g. the headliner). Most are things that could be knocked down in a weekend with the right parts. If you are looking for an E28 presented as God intended German cars (Silver on Black) you can drive and enjoy with no baselining required: I think you can bid with confidence.

I have no skin in this game. Bob came by to bring me some E28 parts I was acquiring from him and he asked me to drive the car ahead of his auction so that I could offer an honest opinion if I was inclined. I told him that if I felt his auction accurately reflected what I saw I would be happy to do so. Unlike the previous owners' auction where several things were misrepresented (perhaps through ignorance), based on my fondling of the car, I think Bob did a complete and transparent job and should be applauded.

GLWA Bob!
piperbrothers

Post by piperbrothers »

Thanks Charlie. Where do I send the check...?

Yeah the headliner is a bummer. I went to an upholsterer and asked about just redo-ing the C pillars and he said that isn't really possible. The back window has to come out to fix any of it, and when you go that far you might as well do it all. It's apparently about a $1500+ job. Which I might have considered but the budget was spent on many other things. You can also do a "patch" like an iron on but that just seemed too cheesy.
Collin380

Post by Collin380 »

Bob,

Good luck with the auction tomorrow...

Best regards,

Alex
sefb222

Post by sefb222 »

Hey Bob-

I decided to bow out of the bidding when I realized I’d likely be that guy who immediately takes the whole car apart for a new paint job, although it sounds like a great example otherwise.
My son and I took a drive out to The Dalles this evening and scooped up a nice clean 535iS in lachsilber on Cardinal for an incredible deal.
Thanks for taking the time to text with me about the car and for being transparent about its shortcomings, although it seems there are few.
Good luck with the auction!
-Seth
piperbrothers

Post by piperbrothers »

Cardinal interior! My favorite. Congrats!
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Congrats on the sale. I think that was probably close to the money on that car. Solid driver and from there the next owner can decide if they want to make the cosmetics right.

Good luck with the 911!