Make an offer - 1985 modded e28 rat rod

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
cjthemountain

Make an offer - 1985 modded e28 rat rod

Post by cjthemountain »

This car has been a ton of fun and a great weekend warrior experience, but I have no where to store it and it's not getting the attention it deserves anymore. I figure if there's anyone that would want it, they're probably on this site so here we go.
I learned a lot working on this car, and it's all pretty well documented on various threads on this site so take a look if ya want.
It's definitely not a show car. I had been building it up to weekend track it, but ended up working on it more than I ever made it to the track :laugh: only got on a closed course once. Was mostly a daily driver for the years I had it.

I'm not looking to part it out, like I mentioned I have no where to store it so buyer would be expected to take the car and all/any spares and peripherals along with it.

1985 BMW 535i manual
Regularly well maintained functionally: fluids, maintenance, etc
Passed CA smog with flying colors every two years, no issues there both before and after the exhaust system change.
interior is completely gutted except for the dash and 2 sparco seats.
MOMO steering wheel

The Good
-m30b34 engine, original block, freshly installed rebuilt head with all new internals including heavy duty rockers and a re-worked camshaft
-replaced all wear and tear stuff during the head swap like the chain guides, new chain tensioner parts, new timing chain, etc
-I've never had any issues with the transmission, I believe it to be original
-I dropped in a limited slip from an e30 (carried over the original mounting plate of course), ratio is 3.75:1 I think. Still locks up nicely.
-ground control coilovers, very stiff springs. If I recall the springs are close to 500in-lbs in the front and 450in-lbs in the back. I have a second set of springs, a bit on the softer side too.
-exhaust system is custom made at a local shop in Huntington beach, kept the stock twin downpipes and put on a new catalytic converter that goes down to a single, straight pipe out the back. It's loud.
-2 complete sets of BBS style 32 17" wheels, staggered 8" front 9" rear. one set is painted orange, the other is... not well cared for. But both sets are straight.
-both fuel pumps were replaced less than 3ish years ago
-ireland engineering sway bars, front and back
-all original bushing including the subframe ones have been replaced, most of them are now powerflex polyurethane
-control arms are moosehead engineering spherical bearings (i also have a spare, second set of these)
-fenders are... mangled is a good word for it. They have enough clearance to use the 9" style 32s front and back if you want that grip.
-AFR and fuel pressure gauges installed.
-most all the original hoses/etc have been replaced with new ones
-bigger calipers and rotors, calipers off a 7 series I think, rotors match fit

The Bad
After finishing the head swap this past winter, she starts up no problem, idles well after warming up, but the 1 test drive I took it on shows it's missing power. Haven't had a chance to figure out why yet. I'm hoping it's spark, o2 sensor, something external... but I'm not sure yet. I'll be troubleshooting until I fix it or sell it.

The rest
Local pickup only for now, I'm not interested in shipping it but I'll work with ya if I can.
Drive it home if it's running smoother by then, or prepare to have it towed.
This isn't gonna be for everyone, but if you're looking for something to have fun with, daily or track, make me an offer.

And thanks to this community for all the guidance, help, and support!
https://imgur.com/gallery/3GQtfLv
KAS

Re: Make an offer - 1985 modded e28 rat rod

Post by KAS »

The photos remind me of the rental car in “Planes, Trains and Automobiles“ after the fire.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Re: Make an offer - 1985 modded e28 rat rod

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Damn, wish you were closer. I could use the 5spd.