FS 1986 BMW 535i Schwartz/Schwartz -$4500 OBO

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
mngraney

FS 1986 BMW 535i Schwartz/Schwartz -$4500 OBO

Post by mngraney »

For Sale is my 1986 bmw 535i Schwartz/schwartz with an estimated 200,000 miles for $4,500 OBO
This is a local cash only sale.

I purchased the car in March of 2017 in Portland, Maine, from a man who had been storing it in his barn for the previous 9 years. The head gasket, water pump, clutch fan and several other items were taken care of within the last 1,000 miles before I bought the car.
I wintered the car under a car cover for the first year I owned the car. Last year I stored her in a heated garage. Oil changes have been done monthly, when driven. The odometer has been frozen since before I owned the car.

*There are several modifications*

Short ram cold air intake
Straight piped exhaust (after the catalytic converter)
Cipher bucket seats installed 2018 (I no longer have the original seats but wiring & controls work)
Pilot Simulated Leather Shift Knob (original included)
Aftermarket radio with Bluetooth (original was stolen)
Front speakers have been rewired and replaced in 2017

Recently Replaced:
-all rubber vacuum hoses
-rubber intake boot
-all fuel injector wiring harnesses
-distributor cap and rotor
-spark plugs and wires
-brakes and rotors
-rear tires
-Driveshaft

The bad

-Frozen odometer
-Cracked dash
-Missing rubber section of rear bumper (flew off on highway)
-Incomplete trunk tool kit
-All of the trunk interior has been striped out except carpet and floorboard
-The drivers side rear window needs to be placed back on its track. It will stay closed on its own but wont roll up and down properly.
-There are two sections of rust that should be dealt with soon. one behind the front drivers side wheel and one -behind the wheel in the rear on the drivers side in the trunk.
-Interior hood latch handle has been broken off
- Clear coat is separating and flaking on hood and trunk
- suffers from the infamous trailer hitching @ roughly 2,700 RPM (I think at this point it could only be the fuel injector for cylinder 5 or an ecu issue)

text or call Matt @ (207) 323-3621 for pictures and more info
or refer to craigslist posting w/photos @ maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/rockland-198 ... 84733.html
Adam W in MN

Re: FS 1986 BMW 535i Schwartz/Schwartz -$4500 OBO

Post by Adam W in MN »

Lol those seats are nuts
mngraney

Post by mngraney »

These seats ARE nuts. The driving position that these seats offer is much more secure. I think they give a better overall feel of the car and a better view of the instrument cluster than the original seats. Also they're ridiculously lighter; I believe each of them weighs something like 25 lbs as opposed to the ~75lb originals. I know that doesn't sound like much of a difference but it has increased the responsiveness of the car considerably. My favorite thing though is that they don't smell like moldy old horse hair.

Also Thanks Turbo_nine for the working url.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

"trailer hitching..."

...What dat mean boss? IDK that I've ever heard that. And I love the seats. I'm not tossing my 535is seats but I really do like them!
mngraney

Post by mngraney »

What i mean by trailerhitching is at a certain rmp the car feels as if it would while hauling a trailer. In other words there a slight hesitation through a small rmp range if you try to stay within the range. The car performs normally outside of this small range of 2700-2800 rmp. This could be caused by any number of things. I have tried finding the source of the problem by replacing suspect parts. The only things I have not replaced but do suspect are the fuel injectors and possibly the ecu. Though I have opened and inspected the ecu and nothing was fried or out of sorts. It is not the original so it was already replaced at some point or another.

-- Added Dec 15, 2019 12:13 PM --

What i mean by trailerhitching is at a certain rmp the car feels as if it would while hauling a trailer. In other words there a slight hesitation through a small rmp range if you try to stay within the range. The car performs normally outside of this small range of 2700-2800 rmp. This could be caused by any number of things. I have tried finding the source of the problem by replacing suspect parts. The only things I have not replaced but do suspect are the fuel injectors and possibly the ecu. Though I have opened and inspected the ecu and nothing was fried or out of sorts. It is not the original so it was already replaced at some point or another.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

SeattleGuy wrote:"trailer hitching..."

...What dat mean boss? IDK that I've ever heard that. And I love the seats. I'm not tossing my 535is seats but I really do like them!
It used to be called "lean surge" Kind of like a miss at light throttle applications as used to happen with early FI systems or carbs when they were jetted for smog. On and off. On and off, but mildly. My 535 was terrible before I replaced the O2 sensor.