FS: E28 M5

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
Supermandjw

FS: E28 M5

Post by Supermandjw »

Been kicking around the idea of keeping or selling. Recently posted the question on a e28 M5 Facebook group and received great encouragement to keep and slowly restore. At first I thought I would hold on to her and slowly restore but now I’m thinking maybe I should sell if someone was interested.

Mechanically it runs well. Has a little over 190k miles. Suspension feels really good and shifts fine (could use a rebuild kit for shifter).

The main and large issue is the rust. Rust in rockers, spare tire well, driver side floor pan, and a few other areas.

I recently purchase panels from classic euro parts to have the fabrication done but haven’t gotten to that point as of yet.

What are your thoughts?

I’m located in Maryland.

I posted a video about my frustrations with the amount of rust. Here is a link to my YouTube video so you can get an idea of what im dealing with.

https://youtu.be/IKQ7OxvTvkU

It’s a bit long of a video but I believe it does a decent job showing the condition of the car.
Last edited by Supermandjw on Apr 02, 2023 9:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.
STRAIGHT6IX

Re: ‘88 M5

Post by STRAIGHT6IX »

Sorry to see you’re in this spot, but it definitely hits close to home. My father and I have a project M5, and we’re doing a lot of the work that you would need to do. Prior to our own car, we were skilled within the boundaries of mechanical work, but had never touched body work. I will not lie to you. This is HARD work. You have days where you feel like a million bucks, and other days where you would like to put a sledgehammer through the windshield. The work includes panel fitting, shaping and welding, all of which are skills we didn’t have before. However, if you commit to doing it for the car YOU love and you’re not doing it to try to offload the car for a profit when you’re done, it’s the most rewarding thing you will ever do. With time and practice, all of those skills become easy. Also, know when to ask for help. We have had people who we have turned to for little questions, which have given us heavy guidance in the building of our car. My father and I would be more than happy to help you in your journey, and If you would like to see the things we’ve dealt with and that are still in the process of being fixed, you can check out our forum viewtopic.php?f=5&t=156139&p=1503225#p1503225

So to summarize, TL;DR: save the car. There’s ups and downs, but it’ll get done.
Supermandjw

Re: ‘88 M5

Post by Supermandjw »

Thanks for the reply and consideration. You and your father are doing an amazing job…I just checked out your forum. I’ll definitely keep you in mind when I have a question or two!