Dieselboost's 524compoundTD

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

yes... i cleaned old mls gasket and glued it properly... and then i put all back to my car :laugh:

so now it works again...

just came home.... cruised about 6 hours...

and with lot of boost.... and yep... it burns rubber too :)
Alleslowbuged

Post by Alleslowbuged »

Hi,

what did you use as glue? As i wrote i also have had my car running like a steam lokomotive since my last cylinderhead repair. I did not pull the cylinderhead, i only loose a cylinderhead bolt, put them out, cleam then, put new anty seeze on them and torque then down again properly and then the next bolt and the next bolt and so on. Since then my car runs without leaking, but i only run with stock boost pressure and did not put so much load on the engine.

Best Regards
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

I used vht copper gasket cement...

i modified little bit cooling system...
-deleted that cold circulation from head...
i drilled 3 3mm holes to thermostat...

i will re torque my head soon... just in case
Alleslowbuged

Post by Alleslowbuged »

DieselBoost wrote:I used vht copper gasket cement...

i modified little bit cooling system...
-deleted that cold circulation from head...
i drilled 3 3mm holes to thermostat...

i will re torque my head soon... just in case
Hi, what did you mean with "deleted the cold circulation from head"? From what you write, i think you still have a working thermostat, so you still should have short and long circuit. Did you mean the short circuit to the cold start valve from the injection pump (i have dismount this for serveral year now and do not miss it)?

Good to hear that your car is finaly running now.

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

i never used that valve... even in my first engine...
and yes i has working thermostat... with holes...

but i mean this...
http://e28-535i.com/upload/IMG_9567.JPG
Alleslowbuged

Post by Alleslowbuged »

Hi,

i think you know that i have had the same mod a while but without thermostat, now my cooling system is nearly stock again. Did you get "normal" temperature control from the thermostat without the cold circuit and did you get stable temperature when you sudenly increase load?

If you could state out yes for both questions, i think i will open my colling systenm again and copy your "block flange with thermostat" setup.

Best Regards
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

yes... thermostat is 82c

i drilled three 3mm holes to it...

average temperature is something about 70c

interesting thing is when i load engine... it cools down more and more... so it stays under 80c with full throttle...

in heavy traffic in warm weather... it stays in 80c or max 82c...

actually i even dont need cooling fan... i use it only just in case...

thermostat is operating normally if you drill those holes... so it has constant circulation of water... + my heater is on allways littlebit... (but this is actually only for checking gasket leak)
if gasket starts to leak... heater starts blow cold air...

but second reason is that when heater is on... water circulates to thermostat from heater...

so...

put your thermostat back... with three 3mm holes in it...

one reason for my cooling power is that very large aluminum radiator...
Alleslowbuged

Post by Alleslowbuged »

ahhhhh the heating circuit......

I have had concerns about not enough coolant circulation in cold conditions (outside and engine), when you suddenly put some load on the engine, but to use the heating circulation for cold conditions seems quite a good idea.

Thanks for your infos, could you please also tell me what was the outside temperature during your test drive? I also would like to see some actual pictures from your car, outside, inside, engine bay .... and so.

I really appreciate that you stayed on your built even with all the issues over the last years and really hopes that it will run like hell now for a while.

I have also some interesting (i think so) news for you. I have bought a 1996 e36 325 TDS, wich will be my new "street race" project and have pulled the cylinder head today (thanks god, the head is in a really good condition,- no cracks -). The interesting thing is the size of the cooling port in the head gasket, on the M21 gasket there is alway one open port per side (left and right), with a diameter of aprroximate Ø 3-4mm, up the sixt cylinder were nearly all port a open and there are 4 additionally very big ports to bring enough water into the cylinder head. The M51 gasket is different, there are one open port on the left side (Ø3-4 mm) and two open ports on the right side (one Ø3-4mm and one Ø5-6mm) up to the third cylinder and then there are the same open port on the left side, but two very big ports on the right side on cylinder 4 and 5 and on the last cylinder all three port were wide open. This nearly the same design as in the modern VW four cylinder engines, as counter part to the old VW engine, which has the same design as the M21 gasket.

What was also interesting for me, was that the M21 and M51 engines has exactly the same position of the cylinder, the head studs and the coolant ports, by comparison it looks like that it should be possible to use a M51 gasket on a M21 engine (for what reasons ever), when you cut the front part for the chain case.

I also wonder if the M51 pistons would bring some advantage in a M21 engine, because of the different piston dome surface, without the mickey mouse and instead two longish symetric grooves.

I do not know if you allready be aware of all that M51 stuff, but will post a comparison picture in regard of the coolant ports in some days (weeks?).

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged

P.S.
I forget, did the heating valve uses +12V or no volatge to stay open all the time?
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

what i have found... that m51 pistons usually cracks... may be caused very small stock turbo and extmanifold... but...

in here m51 has poor reputation...
there is one guy who works in mynädiesel.... he had 390hp from m51 with mercedes pump...

but wait for my new engine... ;)

it will be something totally different...
Alleslowbuged

Post by Alleslowbuged »

Hi,

one more question, did you open the rivets in the mls gasket and spray the vht copper cement between the three layer or do you only spray it on both (block and cylinderhead) outer surfaces?

Here are the first pics from the M51 headgasket in regard of the water ports:

bigger ports on the last two cylinder:
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

interesting... in personally... dislike those pre combustion chamber area... which dont have any support from the gasket... it seems there is air gap between head and block...

but yea it looks like quite same...

and yes i removed rivets... and sprayed all layers...

in my old engine... i sprayed only surfaces... that was fail...
vexu524tdic

Post by vexu524tdic »

Maybe it's time for a dynoday? 400hp is getting closer...

I only sprayed outer surfaces at my MLS but my block and head were machined well. No leaking problems, yet.

I've been working a little with my project too. Block was cracked at main bearings so I needed to change it. New block is almost ready to install...

Where did you (dieselboost) get bearings for M21?
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

vexu524tdic wrote:Where did you (dieselboost) get bearings for M21?
RockAuto.com and from england
Alleslowbuged

Post by Alleslowbuged »

Do you did some more driving and is everthing ok?

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

Alleslowbuged wrote:Do you did some more driving and is everthing ok?
Im driving with it everyday... its my daily car in summer...

over 70km in a day (work driving)
+ weekends and just other cruising... maybe 200km in a week...

so... it works now... but i need more power... :laugh:

2.5bar boost now... noise is quite angry when turbo stalls back ;)
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

Note to my self:

Next time use torque wrench which is in good shape... when tightening crank main bolt.... and use glue with it...

yep my main bolt loosened.... god thanks damper stopped to waterpump wheel... and made noise...

nothing bad happened! now it is ok again...
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

At last... we have some goofing video of our diesel farm :laugh:

enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-qo9pKs ... u4oDEhko2A
Pipewelder

Post by Pipewelder »

Hahahah!! :D I really love the "education" part of "how to adjust valve clearance" :lol: :laugh:

And btw.. It would be very nice to see a clip of how your car runs and sounds now when it works again! :D
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

Pipewelder wrote:Hahahah!! :D I really love the "education" part of "how to adjust valve clearance" :lol: :laugh:

And btw.. It would be very nice to see a clip of how your car runs and sounds now when it works again! :D
we will make new video from all of our cars... little bit rubber burning in airfield again etc ;)

i just bought new lift pump bosch 044 copy from biltema... 270L/H @ 3bar...

old lift pump died yesterday...
Pipewelder

Post by Pipewelder »

Sounds very nice! Looking forward to it! :D

And hope that your new 044 works better than the old one did! ;)
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

i will fix this issue... in next friday ;)
Alleslowbuged

Post by Alleslowbuged »

Hi,

is the car still runing fine with your revised cooling system and can you write how many km you haven driven since revising the coolant system?

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

Alleslowbuged wrote:Hi,

is the car still runing fine with your revised cooling system and can you write how many km you haven driven since revising the coolant system?

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
My car is working good.... but i took it off the road.... reason is lack of money.... it cost about 300e/3months to drive with it (taxes and insurance)

and what comes to the km i drive with it everyday to work (70km per day 5times a week)
+ weekend/other drivings.... calculate it for 3mont usage...

so a lot...

problem is that i dont have working instruments panel.... so it has stopped at 398.000km about 5years a go
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

just making new ideas...

im considering again that i will make m21d28 stroker with that mercedes pump ;)
DieselBoost

Post by DieselBoost »

Ehh.... nice.... Again im unemployed...... welcome to fucking finland...