Timing belt

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
apskill

Timing belt

Post by apskill »

Hi guys. I need help. Was looking for answer but i dont find out. I have 324d (M21). I changed timing belt. First i fixed crankshaft ( pin in flywheel) then fixed fuelpump ( pin in pulley) and last one fixed camshaft ( special tool under cover).
So i put belt first on crankshaft pulley have stretchet put on oil pump and fuel pump pulley ( all at tension). When i arived on camshaft pulley tooth dont fit ( was totally in middle) so i turn it little clockwise to fit in. ( Looking ahead). Completed started but engine is louder. I dont know if i have to turn it in opposite direction. Thanks for answer.
gadget73

Re: Timing belt

Post by gadget73 »

Did you loosen the bolt holding the cam gear? Thats the unclear step in the instructions, cam bolt loosens so that gear will turn and line up with the belt. Set the tension, then tighten the cam gear bolt again.

also, once done, you will need to re-time the injection pump. If the timing is advanced it rattles more.
apskill

Post by apskill »

No. I dont. Cam pulley isnt fixed? So just screw the bolt in front of pulley and it is free to rotate ?
What about fuel pump? I dont understant. You just dont need to block pulley with drill 8.5mm ?
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

The cam pulley has a pin to the cam but the hole is larger than the pin, allowing some movement. You'd have to read the instructions to see which direction you are supposed to bias the pulley, off the top of my head I do not remember but I *think* you bias it against the direction of rotation. Check the Ford instructions if the BMW ones aren't clear. I have not read the BMW manual for this so I don't know if it describes that or not.

also the pin locking the injection pump has to be pulled to allow it all to move as needed. When the belt is being tensioned, the only thing that remains locked is the crankshaft with it's pin, and the camshaft with the locking tool.

Once the belt tension is set, you have to torque the cam bolt back down before removing the cam lock, and you will need to set the injection pump timing using the dial indicator.

Both the Ford and BMW manuals can be found here if you don't already have them

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=88207

info on the injection pump timing process and settings are here

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91517
apskill

Post by apskill »

Bro thanks. This materials ste really helpfull. Really thanks.
Tomorow i try to adjust everything corectly and write if it works.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

This one is my first diesel and BMW powered vehicle, I probably couldn't have made it work without the help and info here. Just trying to help others where I can to pay it back.