D24 Bosch VE shutdown issue

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
JJPow

D24 Bosch VE shutdown issue

Post by JJPow »

Hey all- Ok, here goes- I have a custom offroad prototype vehicle with the D24 TD motor and VE pump. The pump and motor were completely rebuilt, both have >100 miles on them. The issue is once the motor has run for a few minutes, the fuel solenoid cutoff won't work, and the truck has to be shut off manually by the lever on the injection pump. I have a 12V momentary Stop switch on the dash connected to the solenoid on the pump- when I press the button (and the motor is cool), 12V goes to the solenoid, the motor stops. Once it gets warm, 12V to the solenoid, nothing happens. Is this simply a bad solenoid? After researching, it seems that the way the solenoid is supposed to function is to get 12V WHILE running, and close once the voltage STOPS to the solenoid- this is backwards from mine. Any advice is much appreciated- here's a link to the truck build- https://likethisride.com/1984-teledyne
Galahad

Re: D24 Bosch VE shutdown issue

Post by Galahad »

That's really weird - temperature dependance to me suggests a faulty solenoid. How much of the BMW engine harness does your truck use? Based on glancing at the electrical manual you're correct that the solenoid is held open when running but it's possible that part has been messed with in your case
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

yeah not really much to that system. If you can verify it stops getting +12v when the button is pushed but the engine doesn't shut down, that pretty much says the solenoid is dead. It has to pull open, so I'm guessing it'll be sticky and jamming.

not impossible a "power to stop" solenoid does exist for some other application and somebody installed the wrong one. I don't really know on that one.
JJPow

Post by JJPow »

Thanks for the responses guys. I have a call in to the shop that rebuilt the pump- does anyone have a source for the fuel solenoid unit if my shop can't help?
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

offhand no but it should be the same one used on early 12v Cummins engines and everything else with a VE pump, so I'd expect it to be pretty available. Just make sure you get a 12v version.
Spaz!

Post by Spaz! »

I had a weird issue kinda like this with mine when i first got it. The IP was new but had been sitting in the trunk for 20 yrs so i pulled a few things off to see if it was gummed up and dropped the spring behind the fuel cut off plunger. Long story short it would try to kill the engine but couldnt quite manage to overcome the lift pump. Might be worth checking/changing that spring?