Proper valve cover Tq

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
Twglace

Proper valve cover Tq

Post by Twglace »

Hey all just wondering what the proper Tq is on the valve cover... It seems I did it incorrectly and is now leaking oil
gadget73

Re: Proper valve cover Tq

Post by gadget73 »

Ford manual says 6-7 ft-lb.
Twglace

Post by Twglace »

gadget73 wrote: Sep 07, 2021 10:13 AM Ford manual says 6-7 ft-lb.
Would you happen to have the part# for the injector pump fuel screw oring? It seems to be the root cause of my fuel leak that's been coming and going... Now it's back full force and I pulled the screw and the oring is split
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

no idea, I'd probably just go match it up somewhere if you can pull the screw and have the remains of the O-ring. Quick poke around says diesel fuel is fine with Viton, HNBR (those green AC o-rings) and standard black nitrile. Any auto parts store worth a damn ought to have an O ring assortment with something that will get the job done.

or measure carefully and buy a bag of 100 from McMaster for 10 bucks or so.
mike_e30

Post by mike_e30 »

Valve cover is very difficult to tighten, the screw against the firewall is a giant PITA. You must use good quality high temp gasket sealer and OEM gasket, best from BMW direct.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Never had a lot of luck with sealers on rubber gaskets but I think I used some flavor of gasket adhesive to glue the gasket to the cover so it would stay during assembly. Don't remember what it was specifically, but I seem to remember it looking like yellow snot. Without the glue the gasket just falls out of the cover and trying to get it all assembled properly on top of the head is basically impossible.

Not sure the firewall situation on the BMW but it overhangs on a Lincoln, and there are also heater hoses in the way. Trying to get the cover under the cowl, over the vacuum pump, and around the hoses is a huge PITA. Had to re-position it a few times to get that circle bit landed in the head correctly. Check it with a mirror before bolting things down.
SherlockCholms10

Post by SherlockCholms10 »

Something that may prove helpful when doing this task is permatex #3, Aviation sealer. I like to use it on pretty much everything, including radiator hoses and fuel lines. It goes on as a liquid and "dries" to a soft set sticky gel/goo. It removes easily using denatured alcohol, isn't affected by oil, antifreeze or diesel fuel. . . Anyway, one simply cleans the gasket surface, and then brush a light coat of sealer onto both sides of the gasket and the sealing surfaces. Wait about 5 minutes to dry, and then assemble. Easy. I've had success using this method on nearly everything, the only time I've had to resort to RTV was on the 7.3L powerstroke dipstick tube adapter, which if one is unfamiliar, is notoriously finicky.