Glow plug change

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
Twglace

Glow plug change

Post by Twglace »

Hey all!

I'm changing my glowplugs this weekend does anyone have any protips? Can this we done without taking off the intake ?

Thanks
gadget73

Re: Glow plug change

Post by gadget73 »

can be done, just a bit annoying on the back cylinder or two. I think getting the wires off and back on was honestly the most difficult part of the job.

I did spray the area around them with brakleen before removing the old ones just to make sure I wasn't going to get any gunk down in the threads. Use antiseize to re-install.
Twglace

Post by Twglace »

You're becoming my best friend.... Thanks
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

hah, probably just one of the few people nutty enough to still be messing with this sort of nonsense.
Twglace

Post by Twglace »

So it seems that when I try to take the 8mm nut off the connector spins as well as the glow plug shaft? Never had that happen before...
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

connector? Mine uses ring terminals, and its just a small nut and I think a lockwasher clamping it down. Unless you mean the stud inside the glow plug spins with the nut? That would definitely make me think its toast. If thats what its doing, see if you can clamp the stud with needle nose pliers or vise grips and get the nut to back off. Shouldn't be on there all that tight. Absolute worst case you can just cut the wire and crimp on a new ring terminal.
Twglace

Post by Twglace »

This is true.... And yes that's what is happening.... One question ...HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THE SMALL NUTS BACK ON... holy moly.... Lol
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

very carefully. I know I lost at least one but I managed to save enough of the originals that it wasn't a problem. Its pretty much one of those deals where you have to see with your fingertips.
Twglace

Post by Twglace »

Well ended up taking off the manifold... AND I had to cut 3 of the connectors because of the shafts spinning lol
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

wow, I guess I got lucky. All of mine came out without any fuss, even the 3 bad ones.
Twglace

Post by Twglace »

Hey I have a question! I'm going to be putting my intake manifold back on today... Do I need sealer for the gasket?

I'm very happy I decided to take it off... I think it was leaking pretty bad tbh.. the old gasket just fell apart and had oil residue in the contact points
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I didn't use any. I just cleaned everything up really well. So long as the mating surfaces are flat the paper gasket is all you really need. If there are any burrs, a flat file or a piece of sandpaper on a flat block of wood to knock it off will take care of it.

I did take a towel soaked in brakleen to get as much gunk out of the head ports as I could, and I used the solvent tank at work to get as much gunk out of the intake as possible. Lots of oil sludge in mine.