I found this

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
Munjoz19

I found this

Post by Munjoz19 »

hello everyone,

i own a bmw e28 524td 1986 in really good condition.A few days ago I found another one, but from the first owner and bought it. Same engine same year, first color, "opal grun",has not been registered since 2007, but in extremly GOOD condiotion. Dashboard without any crack/scratches, mtec spoiler, original alarm, rare bmw original wheels 14" etc. ;) :)

comments....

pictures below

gadget73

Re: I found this

Post by gadget73 »

Why was it parked? Just curious if there is some deeper problem. Car looks really nice either way.
Munjoz19

Post by Munjoz19 »

gadget73 wrote: Jan 19, 2021 7:50 AM Why was it parked? Just curious if there is some deeper problem. Car looks really nice either way.
Thanks, the guy who sold it to me, moved to another city 10 years ago, and the car now bothers his old father, and he decided to sell it.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Gotcha, might not be too bad then. My Continental sat for about that long for unknown reasons but it wasn't parked because it was broken.

I did a timing belt and tensioner for age and unknown mileage reasons, changed the water pump and thermostat while I was in there. Also did a valve lash adjustment because the cover was off anyway. 3/6 of my glow plugs were bad, and the expensive thing was the head seal on the injection pump failed and it started dumping fuel after about a year. I've heard mixed theories on this being caused by modern diesel fuel and simple age. I suspect its some of both. The seal kit is under 100 bucks but I didn't feel confident enough to do the pump myself. Having it done was about $1500. I had the injectors tested at the same time, those all checked out fine. The rubber couplers between the turbo and the intake were cracked and leaky too. After dealing with all that, the only other problem I've really had is the O ring on the block heater dried up and caused a coolant leak. I tried to remove the heater, but the metal plate that clamps against the block on the inside broke and I had to replace the whole thing. The aftermarket one wasn't designed properly so it just fell into the block when the engine cooled down. I found an NOS part, installed that and the engine has been fine since then. I did have a starter go bad the day after I bought it, but the brushes were worn down to nothing. Probably related to the glow plugs being bad.
LuckyHenriksen

Post by LuckyHenriksen »

Munjoz19 wrote: Jan 19, 2021 5:28 AM hello everyone,

i own a bmw e28 524td 1986 in really good condition.A few days ago I found another one, but from the first owner and bought it. Same engine same year, first color, "opal grun",has not been registered since 2007, but in extremly GOOD condiotion. Dashboard without any crack/scratches, mtec spoiler, original alarm, rare bmw original wheels 14" etc. ;) :)

comments....

pictures below

Very nice, looks like a lovely car! Opal green is one of my all time favorite BMW colors, and not too common. Looking forward to seeing how you progress with this project!
Munjoz19

Post by Munjoz19 »

Thanks, i will put some pictures when he comes out of the garage :banana:
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

In my opinion, it still looks good. Of course, you're going to need to fix it a bit, but that's not a bad deal.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

Aside from that, the best fix or upgrade should be your choice, not mine or others.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

And go for a very affordable fix as well. Upgrades and repairs shouldn't be expensive.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

Hmm, perhaps I could ask my brother about affordable fixes. I'll be right back with some tips from him. He's a mechanic.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

No replies yet from him today, he might be busy. I'll have to leave a message later.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

Still no reply from him today, he might be having a vacation, I guess? Not so sure about that.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

He's apparently in Chicago. Damn! He really is taking a few weeks off.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

He even sent a photo of him and his mistress in a resort. Lucky guy.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

Now I'm wondering if whether I should tell his wife the truth or not. Hmm, I don't know, he is my brother, after all. But what he's doing isn't right. He has two kids already.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

Hmm, I might as well just tell his wife. It's not right, covering up for his infidelity.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

I told his wife, and now, my conscience is clean. At least that's the right thing to do.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

His wife just called, I think she wants to know more about his infidelity. Should I go over the whole thing?
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

generally I try to stay out of other people's stuff. It never seems to end well.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

I know that for a fact, but I found out that he doesn't even care. It seems he always knew that his wife was already aware of his infidelity. Messed up situation, actually.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

they might have that kind of relationship. I know folks in an open marriage and it works for them. Then there are people who are basically just married for financial reasons. I also know people who's wives wanted that and it wasn't mutual so it ended in divorce.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

they might have that kind of relationship. I know folks in an open marriage and it works for them. Then there are people who are basically just married for financial reasons. I also know people who's wives wanted that and it wasn't mutual so it ended in divorce.
kingoftarmace2004

Post by kingoftarmace2004 »

how the hell did this thread turn in to guys having side dishes? fish and chips......WEIRD! -Paul
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Let a thread go on long enough and its pretty well guaranteed to end up way off the rails
mike_e30

Post by mike_e30 »

I've never seen a thread go this far, and thats being on BBS forums since the late 1980s.

Steve, I think you need some help.