524td basket case value?

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
Spaz!

524td basket case value?

Post by Spaz! »

Hey guys I need a chassis for my m5 clone and I found a 524td that supposedly just needed an injection pump but it's been sitting for a WHILE. It's a straight body car aside from the front valance, interior is a little tired but not terrible. The driver's seat is torn on the lower pad and the dash is cracked all to hell but otherwise I think it would be "ok" with a good detailing. Has cheap but new tires all around and I believe all the glass is good.

Any idea what would be a reasonable offer?
gadget73

Re: 524td basket case value?

Post by gadget73 »

are you interested in it as a 524td, or just as the chassis? If the idea was to make the diesel run as it is, the pump is a fairly expensive hunk of iron. Mine was 1500 to have rebuilt and that seems to be about the going rate. And thats just assuming the pump is the only problem. You know how it goes with old stuff that has been sitting. Once it runs you start to find the laundry list of other stuff thats wrong.
Spaz!

Post by Spaz! »

Thanks Gadget. I'm only really interested in the chassis. I have pretty much everything to put a big six car together the way I want it but the chassis I have is rotten beyond repair. I have no doubt the 524td will have a myriad of other problems judging by the look of it. I would, of course, recycle the TD parts here. Oh and the paint is pretty nice all around and appears to be the original coating
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

thats territory I know nothing of. The only BMW stuff I know at all is limited to the goofy oil burner under the hood of my Lincoln. Never owned one, so its not something I ever had to know about.
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

I mean you are essentially buying a shell because it has a crucial broken component. Can't go anywhere without the injection pump. $650?
Spaz!

Post by Spaz! »

Gadget, I can't say I have much experience with Lincolns but you should try an e28. Few of the hundred odd cars I've owned has been missed as much as my 528 and it was not a performer or anything special to look at.

Leisey, that's kinda what I was thinking. If it's as clean as a quick look around indicates it's a very nice example for a shell but on the whole it's not anything special. I just don't want to low ball the guy.

I'm going to look he car over with h tomorrow and make an offer. Wish me luck!
Spaz!

Post by Spaz! »

Well I offered him 500 and he took it so I'm now the proud owner of what appears to be a rust free 1985 524td! If anyone needs parts let me know. I will be pulling all of the running gear to install the m5 goodies. It looks to be a complete car though it may be missing some small parts.
LuckyHenriksen

Post by LuckyHenriksen »

Nice work, post some photos! If I lived close by I would be interested in taking the complete M21 off your hands.
Spaz!

Post by Spaz! »

I'll start a new thread on the TD in a moment. I've decided to put it back together for now until I get all the little stuff sorted for the m30 swap while it's still in the donor car. Who knows maybe I'll find another solid e28 in need of rescue!