TheBestParts

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
OilBurner524TD

TheBestParts

Post by OilBurner524TD »

Has anyone used AFAB "TheBestParts" out of Montana before? They have a complete timing kit for rent and a complete timing belt component kit as well. I've called twice now to no avail.
On a side note, if these folks don't answer, does anyone have a timing service kit I could buy?
LuckyHenriksen

Re: TheBestParts

Post by LuckyHenriksen »

Timing belts should be available still, I bought one from Blunttech along with a water pump, glow plugs, and a bunch of other M21 junk from them.
OilBurner524TD

Post by OilBurner524TD »

I can get a timing belt and all the associated bits from my local import auto supplier thankfully. I looked into Blunttech and they don't seem to carry much for the TD model anymore, at least according to their websites inventory list. I'm more worried about getting the correct/complete timing belt service kit. Mainly the dial indicator adapter for the IP timing. I'd love to purchase an entire kit as I don't forsee getting rid of my TDs anytime soon. TheBestParts has a service kit, but no one to answer their phones. Frustrating.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

The IP uses the same stuff as early Cummins 2v engines and VW engines, so that ought to be very available. I made my own but its similar to available designs. Just for space reasons I'd go with the "tube" style that puts the dial indicator straight in line with the injection pump. I have seen types that have a sort of see-saw that puts the dial indicator off to the side of the pump but I don't know that you have enough space to spin that kind in.

Unrelated warning, pick up some spare copper washers for the head plug. If (when) you drop one it vanishes someplace you will never find it again unless you have spares. Its 8mm ID, 10mm OD, not sure on the thickness but whatever is standard for those dimensions. I found my local hardware store has a drawer of them for about 30 cents each. I think they list as 5/16" ID, which is close enough.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

"Unrelated warning, pick up some spare copper washers for the head plug. If (when) you drop one it vanishes someplace you will never find it again unless you have spares."
Yup, our next-door neighbor learned this the hard way. Good thing he was able to find replacements.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I looked at every part store in the area and online, found absolutely nothing. Nobody had anything that small. Even tried a local HVAC place, figuring maybe oil furnace burners may have one, but no luck there either. I popped in the hardware store looking for something totally unrelated and found they had a whole bin of exactly what I needed for pocket change. All the auto parts stores had were the larger size copper washers typically used on brake calipers. My next step was actually going to be finding some copper sheet and making my own washer.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

"I popped in the hardware store looking for something totally unrelated and found they had a whole bin of exactly what I needed for pocket change."
Oof! This is one of those instances where you can definitely say "it was right under our nose all along."
LT_Texan

Post by LT_Texan »

I've used TheBestParts (AFAB, LLC). Call Dustin or text him at +1(406)528-2139.

He has the cam alignment took and locking pins for rent.

But last I talked to him, he can not source the tensioner pulley.

His fuel pump rebuilder is retiring too I hear.

Regards,
Dan
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

When I did my timing belt about 3 years ago the tensioner was available but a quick look around shows that to not be the case so much. I found some listings for OE BMW for 120 bucks, but nothing else. Mine I think is an INA that was maybe 30 bucks. Belt was a Febi Bilstein, also not crazy money. The original tensioner had a bad bearing, but the design makes me think you could probably rebuild the thing. Just need to find a suitable idler wheel.

I did that with the AC/PS pump tensioner on my Lincoln. The idler wheel is from a Chevy S10 because I had one on the shelf. It wasn't meant to be replaced, but a lot of things become possible if you have a grinder and aren't afraid to use it.
LT_Texan

Post by LT_Texan »

RockAuto lists the bearings for the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley. I hope I can rebuild mine with the new bearings.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I seem to remember my original one was a plastic pulley that over-molded the bearing. Don't remember if it was OE BMW or aftermarket though. If the wheel itself can't be rebuilt you may be able to replace the wheel but retain the original bracket. I'd be surprised if the wheel itself isn't something common.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

"I'd be surprised if the wheel itself isn't something common."
That either means it's easy to find a replacement for it or it's easily a cheap quality.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I was thinking easily replaced. Its an 8 rib idler wheel, those exist for plenty of things so I'd be surprised if one of those can't be fit to the BMW bracket in order to make it like new again. The cast iron piece doesn't wear out, so there really isn't any reason to throw it away. Basically the same thing I did with the PS tensioner, that was meant to be replaced as an assembly but it isn't available so I made it take a part I can get anywhere. The specific one on there is even rebuildable, the bearing can be replaced for about 1/3 the cost of the whole idler wheel. The nice part about that, I can buy a better quality bearing than what came in there originally.