water pump pulley mesurement

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
gadget73

water pump pulley mesurement

Post by gadget73 »

If any of you fine folks have an extra water pump pulley, could I ask for a measurement? With the pulley sitting on a flat surface, what does it measure from the table to the hole in the center where the pump goes through? The one on my Lincoln is a bit messed up and I don't know if the BMW part is the same. The Ford part is of course unavailable.
kingoftarmace2004

Re: water pump pulley mesurement

Post by kingoftarmace2004 »

it might be the same as the m20. I will try to measure when I get home.-Paul. you want outside lip to center of pumpshaft right?
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

yeah, total depth from the back edge of the pulley. Just sit it on a table and let me know the measurement from the table to the hole where the pump sits. That should tell me what I want to know. I'm hoping the BMW part is the same as the Ford. My WP pulley was mangled a bit and its got a distinct wobble to it. I think thats why it keeps eating the V belt. I fixed it somewhat but it looks like someone tried to hold it with a pipe wrench and its not quite round anymore.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

"I think thats why it keeps eating the V belt. I fixed it somewhat but it looks like someone tried to hold it with a pipe wrench and its not quite round anymore."
So, it might have been mishandled? Who could it be?
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

weren't me, but I don't know the history of this thing before I owned it. Have a new one coming through one of the BMW vendors. It doesn't ship until middle of April though. Hoping to get another couple weeks out of the belt. I bought an NOS alternator pulley too, plan to change both and the belt in one go. I'm hoping that will fix it. Currently its basically a belt every oil change, which is bullshit.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

just as a final follow-up, I can indeed confirm that the BMW 524td water pump pulley is identical to the one used on the Lincoln.

I also found that the wave washer that are supposed to sit under the bolts were missing, which let the bolts work very slightly loose. The fan clutch also wasn't de-clutching so it was driving a lot of load. This ended up turning the 4 mounting holes into keyholes, the bolts were damaged from the vibration where they passed through the damaged pulley, and the whole mess was wobbling and causing the belts to self-destruct. Have a new fan clutch on order from a gas model. The diesel-specific clutch is way too expensive (best price I found was $250 for a Behr, shipped from Latvia) so I spent $80 for a Behr that fits basically everything from the mid 80s through the end of the 90s on a laundry list of models.

cheaper clutches do exist but I've had bad luck from cheap junky clutches on other things, and I do not want to pop a head gasket to save 40 bucks on a fan clutch. I have no temp gauge on this so by the time I know anything is wrong its already too late.
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

Man, that's unfortunate. Let us know if ever something else comes up. Cheers!
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

So far its working, and it makes less fan noises. The belt also has not needed a re-tension after the initial start so I'm hoping this fixes it. I was eating a belt every few thousand miles and its not the most fun thing to change. AC performance seems not as good, no surprise since there isn't as much airflow, but the electric fan does work.

I still need to make a small change so the overheat idiot light will also kick the e-fan on high speed like BMW has it do. Ford just turns the light on, it will never turn on the fan. Simple mod, just need to add a relay and some wire.

also curious if this makes my heat in the winter better. Doubt its going to hurt.