Lincoln Diesel dies..

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
black396

Lincoln Diesel dies..

Post by black396 »

1984 Lincoln Turbo Diesel. On the first leg trip, at about 30 miles, it started to loose power, (like it was a gas motor, "loading up"). top speed at the end, maybe 55 mph.
Second leg, 7 hrs. later, ditto, but top speed was 45 mph.
Next AM, at about 6 miles, ditto. began to stall. After 15 sec. of cranking, it would start, and make it 1 miles or so.

No billowing of black smoke, just less and less power, until....kaput.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Charles

Where to start. I am gonna start with the fuel filter
gadget73

Re: Lincoln Diesel dies..

Post by gadget73 »

If its not the filter, my bet is you're sucking air from someplace. I have had four air leaks on my Continental. One was at the quick connect fitting that sits between the fuel filter and the lift pump in the engine bay. O-rings inside the fitting were leaky. The hose itself was also not in good shape. The second was at the feed line into the fuel filter, the hose had cracked at the end. The other was probably caused by me, but when I removed the line into the fuel filter, the O-rings in the quick connect fitting down at the frame end started to leak. I'd probably just change it all in one go honestly. I forget the size of the O rings, but it was something that was in my O-ring kit. I used AC o-rings since HNBR holds up fine to diesel fuel. Replace the two lengths of rubber line if you're messing with it. 3/8" hose. The line from frame to filter has a plastic strap holding it to the frame right next to where the steering column mates up with the steering shaft in the engine bay. Its surprisingly difficult to get the plastic clip loose though if you unbolt the filter assembly and move it aside it helps a little bit. The strap keeps the fuel line from laying on the steering shaft.

Fair warning, when you unhook the line down at the frame, it will gravity drain. Find a rubber cap or something to stuff over the line so you don't end up with a small lake of fuel on your garage floor like I did. I didn't have the hose on hand, when I got back from the parts store I had quite a mess on my hands.