Over heating or head torque issue

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
Fearslick

Over heating or head torque issue

Post by Fearslick »

I picked up my 85 524td a few years ago, it has been a project that has sat on the sidelines for awhile behind work and other projects. I installed a good injection pump, new timing belt, water pump, and thermostat. It will run for about 15 -20 minutes from dead cold. but once it warms up it dies out. I am thinking it is a fuel pump issue but I am not completely convinced just yet.

When i did the cam timing and new belt, I noticed the head was brand new. I remember reading somewhere that after the first fire the head needed to be re torqued. Does anyone have the information on what to torque it at? I believe it as 90 degrees off of a certain number.

Does anyone have this infomation? Or know what I am talking about? Or maybe a solution to the problem?
grievousman

Re: Over heating or head torque issue

Post by grievousman »

Hello,

The head torque info is a bit tough to find, I found it on page 21 of this manual which is in the sticky on the main td forum page:
http://e28-535i.com/524td/2.4L%20Diesel ... rtment.pdf

it says 50-60nm, then wait 15 minutes, then tighten to 90-95nm. then assemble and run engine to temperature, then tighten each head bolt 90¤

Good luck!