how many bolts hold the injection pump?

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
gadget73

how many bolts hold the injection pump?

Post by gadget73 »

OK this is going to sound really dumb, but how many bolts do I need to loosen in order to adjust the timing on the injection pump? The Ford book shows 2 on the timing cover and two that appear to be used to hold the bracket to the rear end of the pump. Sticky up at the top mentions 2 on the cover and 3 on the bracket. Pics of a Bosch VE pump show 3 on the timing cover side.

I have loosened all 4 that Ford mentions and the pump will not move. Not sure if I'm missing a bolt, or if its just seized into the timing cover. This is the VE mechanical pump, not the electronic one.
gadget73

Re: how many bolts hold the injection pump?

Post by gadget73 »

I guess I'm the only idiot that can't get his injection pump to move?

Mostly I just want a sanity check to see if I'm missing a bolt or if the pump is seized in the front cover.
Kyle in NO
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

There are VERY few 524td owners who frequent the board, and even fewer who can answer your question. The Lincoln info should apply to your pump.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Kinda figured that, but I was hoping someone else had done this. At this point I'll just assume its seized into the front cover and plan on leaving it alone since it doesn't feel like moving and I don't feel like breaking anything. I was hoping to improve cold starts, but the reality is I don't plan to drive this thing in winter, and it kicks off fine when its warmer or I use the block heater.

Glow plugs are on the list to check too. They appear to have been changed at some point but since I have no idea what the maintenance history is, I can't guess how long ago that was.