injection pump lock pin not lined up

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
gadget73

injection pump lock pin not lined up

Post by gadget73 »

I'm into the timing belt job and with the crank locked, the injection pump lock pin doesn't quite line up. The pump is rotated slightly CCW relative to the hole in the block. Is that just caused by slack in the belt? It does seem a little bit loose. No clue how old it is, but it seems to have been there a good while.
gadget73

Re: injection pump lock pin not lined up

Post by gadget73 »

related, but is the square on the camshaft supposed to be perpendicular to the valve cover surface? Mine is very distinctly not. This is with the crank at #1 TDC, and the lock pin installed through the block.

Did someone get the belt a tooth off, or is this proper? I don't want to go re-installing the belt in the same position if this is not right.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

may have answered my own question. Forgot that cibie had sent me a picture of the job on his car. This is what it looks like with the proper tool. Looks pretty square to me.

so unless someone tells me I'm way off base here, I think what I'll do is square up the cam relative to the rocker cover surface, lock the injection pump where it goes, and put the belt on.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

That is correct, square the cam and lock the pump!
demetk

Post by demetk »

Why do you need to lock the cam in place on that engine?
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

You'd have to ask BMW. Its their procedure :) I think its more a positioning thing, though why they didn't just make it so it used a lock pin like the crank and injection pump is beyond me. Not an engineer, just a guy who has to work on it.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

must have worked because it runs. Haven't driven it since I'm still waiting on thermostat gaskets but it rotates over by hand fine and doesn't sound wrong when I idled it for a few seconds.