PILOT/REFERENCE INJECTORS! NOS IN OKLAHOMA

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
Spaz!

PILOT/REFERENCE INJECTORS! NOS IN OKLAHOMA

Post by Spaz! »

Hey guys i just found a business in oklahoma that has 36 of the special injectors in stock. I ordered one for me and figured I'd pass this along to others. I have confirmed with them that they match both the bosch and bmw number.

Www.delcodiesel.com

P/n 13531284076

Get em while theyre hot!

If anyone has a good pigtail for the harness side of the plug please drop me a pm. Mine was gone when i bought my 524 and i hadnt worried about since the wires on the injector were too.
Galahad

Re: PILOT/REFERENCE INJECTORS! NOS IN OKLAHOMA

Post by Galahad »

Thanks for the tip! Spares for these things are always good
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

indeed, thanks. Will probably grab one to add to my shelf of spare parts I hope to not need.
Spaz!

Post by Spaz! »

Not a bad idea gadget, i may go back and get one more just for good measure!
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

In my case I'm somewhat lucky that its not actually required for the engine to run, mine is just used for the fuel economy display. It was missing when I got the car, but I found an NOS Ford-boxed one to put in just to fix that.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

They raised the price $15 now that we started buying them
Spaz!

Post by Spaz! »

I saw that. Still $75 is cheap enough for me to order another. I received mine today, not much to report other than it is brand new and the right part number. Hopefully i can get installed today also.

Interesting Gadget. I assumed it ran the tacho on mine, is that not the case? My original one is leaking and thats really the only reason i went looking again. Its run fine for a while without that hooked up so i guess its not that important to the 524 either.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I bought two, can't imagine I'll ever actually need more than that. Tach runs off some pins on the flex plate. ECU might act a bit wonky without the reference injector hooked up, I'm not entirely sure how the diesel control system works yet.
Spaz!

Post by Spaz! »

Me either Galahad. I know on mine there are only 3 wires to the IP. One is fuel cut and the others are the idle switch so Im pretty sure it doesnt affect anything on the fuel side of things. Maybe egr?
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

so far as I understand it controls timing advance in the injector pump. I'm assuming the injector is for feedback to verify the timing is what the controller thinks it is. Euro pumps don't have the control, its just a spring on one side of the plunger and pump body pressure on the other. Spin it faster, the more it overcomes the spring and the timing advances as a result. The electronic ones have a small valve in there to relieve pressure on the back side of the plunger to allow for more advance.
Spaz!

Post by Spaz! »

Great, i wonder what pump i have in my car now! That would explain why it seems to constantly overfuel and i had to monkey with the timing just to get it to run tho.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Have to read the ID tag. I believe its on the side of the pump you can see.

R117 = VE, the Euro pump with no timing control
R118 = VP-20, the US BMW pump with timing control

I think the timing controller may also use the crank sensor as part of whatever it does. The EGR control system uses that too.

Over-fueling could just be someone screwed with the adjustments. Mine was up so high when I got it that I had visible smoke at idle. The turbo wastegate was also set so that it was partially open all the time, making for very low boost and extreme lag. It cleaned up considerably when I wound it up to get to the top end of factory spec. It runs something like 11psi now.