New to me 524TD

Finally, a home for all you 524td oil burners out there.
SherlockCholms10

Re: New to me 524TD

Post by SherlockCholms10 »

That's a good point. Likely the engine will still run even in this state, but the question really is how will it run like this? I'm actively looking for a serviceable replacement cam and rocker set . . . but if I end up ordering a brand new cam and rocker set then I'm sure I'll be replacing the spray bar. Since nearly every lobe displays significant wear, I think the issue wasn't with the spray bar assembly but rather neglectful maintenance and valve clearance adjustment. A historical search here on the forum shows many owners have had similar issues with cam wear. It makes me strongly considering running a ZDDP additive. . . I'm currently running AR9100 in my pickup truck, I'm waiting for another 2 oil change intervals to decide for myself if it is actually helping to reduce wear metals (which I determine through oil analysis).
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Not sure you need to replace the spray bar, just clean it. Its a steel tube with some pinholes in it. Nothing some solvent and a torch tip cleaner can't put to rights. I wouldn't trust a used one to not need the same treatment. In the meantime, may as well do what you can to try to prolong the worn out cam a bit.

Problem with it being just a tube with pinholes it wouldn't take much sludge to plug them if the oil changes aren't kept up on. The turbo bearings would also not be happy about sludgey oil. Might want to check that for excess slop. These are just sleeve bearings.
SherlockCholms10

Yes, the turbo journals are also in need of replacement. There is significant side to side play. I suppose since this engine is going to be down for awhile, I'll go ahead and get that pulled off and take a look at the internals. Spinning the turbo over by hand it doesn't feel like there is any contact between the wheels and one of the housings, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't happened in the past.

I agree completely with what you are saying, all of these are symptomatic of running oil longer than it should have been. Could have been substandard oil, or even a quality oil that was ran too long (short tripping). Good news is that it still spins over easily by hand, and both the turbo and the cam are the two areas that would show lubrication related failure the soonest. Its raining here over the next few days, but I should be able to pull the turbo off on Friday. I'll let you know what I find.

I've got a bead on a running engine a decent haul from here. That is looking like a better option all the time.
SherlockCholms10

Pulled the rocker arms off, 6 of them show what I would call normal wear, the other 6 show what I would call abnormal wear. I'll get pictures posted this evening. The cam & rocker arms are going to be making the trip to Delta Cam in Tacoma, WA for a stock regrind. Quote was $80 to regrind cam, $4 per rocker arm. I suspect that some of the rockers aren't going to be salvageable, but the worst one had a divot worn about .020 deep. While reducing the base circle isn't ideal I'm not going to lose anymore than a few thousandths. I don't expect to exceed the capabilities of the stock cam with this engine, and ~150 is much better than the $1K plus that it would run for new parts from BMW. Anyone know if the rocker arms are made from chilled iron?

It would seem that this was caused by lack of valve lash adjustment, combined with running oil longer than it should have been. Once this all goes back together I'll be sure to use oil analysis and monitor the wear here. I'm still waiting on parts from Europe, as well as tracking down the front 1/2 of a driveshaft. Interior is already ripped apart, I'm contemplating taking apart the blower motors and heater core/evaporator coil assemblies and resealing everything with new foam. Looks pretty intense.

I've found this forum to be very useful with posts running back over 15 years. I'll pay it forward a little for the next guy; Ford used the same engine and parts are available using their part numbering system. Rocker arms are E45Y-6564-A. Camshaft is E45Y-6250-A. I was able to pickup a complete set of 12 NOS rocker arms for $150. This was nearly $500 cheaper than the discounted BMW dealerships. Unfortunately no camshafts are available via this route.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I tend to shop the Ford parts, partly because its what I have, but mostly because of pricing. There weren't all that many diesel Lincolns made in the first place, and the survival rate has to be quite low. The most common response I get with mine is "I didn't even know they made that".

80 bucks to fix the cam is a whole lot cheaper than I'd have expected it to be. I just wonder if its going to end up changing the clearances enough to exceed the ability of the rockers to be adjusted. Not sure if they exist for this, but ages ago I had an air cooled VW with that problem, and the solution was a thing called a lash cap. Basically it looked like a small metal cup that sat on the valve stem to make it a bit longer so it would work.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

gadget73 wrote: Apr 19, 2022 8:28 AM ... Not sure if they exist for this, but ages ago I had an air cooled VW with that problem, and the solution was a thing called a lash cap. Basically it looked like a small metal cup that sat on the valve stem to make it a bit longer so it would work.
Reminds me of the 302'd '91 Bronco we had many years ago that collapsed a lifter. I pulled the valve cover, rocker, and the affected push rod. Inserted a GM 350 push rod, reassembled everything and proceeded on down the road for several more years.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

There is a right fix, and a right now fix. Sometimes things are only worth so much effort. If it worked for years like that, I can't exactly say it wasn't right enough.
SherlockCholms10

SherlockCholms10 wrote: Apr 06, 2022 8:30 AM I've got a bead on a running engine a decent haul from here. That is looking like a better option all the time.
I've decided that due to the extended unknowns with the engine installed, I've taken a 90* turn and we are now headed on an entirely different route.

SherlockCholms10

"Euro spec" M21 flywheel arrived today!! I'll get some pictures up this afternoon. It's all starting to come together now.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

SherlockCholms10 wrote: May 09, 2022 11:26 AM ... It's all starting to come together now.
:clap:
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Sometimes the unknown is good. Other times its an expensive pit of sadness.