2002 project car update - new pics

Post your photos and videos here!
RoyW

2002 project car update - new pics

Post by RoyW »

Well, the car is near completion :alright: :banana:

Mario and his guys at VSR have done a fantastic and flawless job... the car looks awesome!! I haven't really driven it yet, as there is still a clutch issue to resolve, i.e., e30M3 master, 2002 slave compatibility problem; a throttle pedal placement issue; bed-in the brakes; dyno and further tune the Alpha-N system; lower the stance if it doesn't settled out a little lower; plus a few cosmetic things like headlight rings, grills, and custom brackets (thru the grills) for the Hella driving lights. All of these will be completed in a couple weeks, but right now its on to the stereo shop!!!

I pick it up today and trailered it over to the shop of the guy that will put the sound system in... it started right up, sounded fantastic, and I drove it on/off the trailer. I plan to get it back to Mario's the week after next for completion of those last few items... and then fun begins!! :D

Here are some pictures I took today after dropping her off:
hugh1850

Post by hugh1850 »

8) so nice.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Purty. I like the color choice. I would love those early (albeit heavy) Recaro power seats like in that blue E12 "fake Alpina" discussed over in the for sale thread. The orange and black fabric would really set off your '02.

edit: Here's a picture of the seats.

wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Beautiful. Makes me hate my car again.

I think we got a whole day of my enjoying it in this time, though. :laugh:
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Super-sweet!
derrith

Post by derrith »

I assume that's Erik J's M Tech cloth, is that correct?
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

Stunning. It's sooo close now.
go4carter

Post by go4carter »

I have now moved from "happy for you" to "disgruntled jealousy".
Mark 88/M5 Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Looks GREAT Roy. It makes me quite envious and miss my long gone '76 2002 more than I normally do.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Roy,
Pierre in CA sells exact replicas of the factory brackets for aux. lamps, if you weren't aware.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~pchamaa/200 ... ackets.htm

ChristopherL

Post by ChristopherL »

I caught my breath on Thursday when I walked into the shop and it wasn't there... thought I'd missed out on seeing it totally finished!

Looks great Roy!!!

-Chris
Ted in T.O.

Post by Ted in T.O. »

:shock: SWEEET!! :shock: Will we be seeing that Baby on the Labor day weekend Roy? Ted
PROJECT. E28

Re: 2002 project car update - new pics

Post by PROJECT. E28 »

RoyW wrote:Well, the car is near completion :alright: :banana:

Mario and his guys at VSR have done a fantastic and flawless job... the car looks awesome!! I haven't really driven it yet, as there is still a clutch issue to resolve, i.e., e30M3 master, 2002 slave compatibility problem; a throttle pedal placement issue; bed-in the brakes; dyno and further tune the Alpha-N system; lower the stance if it doesn't settled out a little lower; plus a few cosmetic things like headlight rings, grills, and custom brackets (thru the grills) for the Hella driving lights. All of these will be completed in a couple weeks, but right now its on to the stereo shop!!!

I pick it up today and trailered it over to the shop of the guy that will put the sound system in... it started right up, sounded fantastic, and I drove it on/off the trailer. I plan to get it back to Mario's the week after next for completion of those last few items... and then fun begins!! :D

Here are some pictures I took today after dropping her off:

HEY CAN I GET A TOWEL PLEASE?
blkbmw

Post by blkbmw »

wow..........good work and very nice car :alright:
tomkatdo

Post by tomkatdo »

:bow: :roundel:
Dana R

Post by Dana R »

Wow! That is fantastic. I love the seats. Are the rear seats from an e24? The engine install looks fabulous. I've seen this engine swap before, so I'm wondering why the clutch issue doesn't have an "already been there" solution?
skylere28

Post by skylere28 »

the only expression i could think of.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

derrith wrote:I assume that's Erik J's M Tech cloth, is that correct?
Correct.

-Roy
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Ted in T.O. wrote::shock: SWEEET!! :shock: Will we be seeing that Baby on the Labor day weekend Roy? Ted
Indeed you will.

-Roy
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Dana R wrote:Wow! That is fantastic. I love the seats. Are the rear seats from an e24? The engine install looks fabulous. I've seen this engine swap before, so I'm wondering why the clutch issue doesn't have an "already been there" solution?
Yep, rear seats are from an e24.

I'm sure the clutch solution is at hand, just catches to low right now.

-Roy
dinanm3atl

Post by dinanm3atl »

DAMN!

Please sell to me!
m-racer

Post by m-racer »

Roy, That is just fabulous. I have been pretty bored with 02's for a while. I made various attempts to wring enough power out of an M10 and really did not like the s14 conversion in my last 02 (because of the vibration issue). Your is the first new approach to engineering an s14 solution that I have seen. Lots of problems solved with Mario's approach. That is great work. I love the view from rear. Looks mean as can be. Tim
ChristopherL

Post by ChristopherL »

I think we can comfortably say that 95% of Roys S14 swap is custom or original. While some aspects may take cue's from previous swaps, almost all items have been improved/adjusted/revised for a better final outcome. The goal was not to simply stuff the S14 into the car and deal with the 'nuances' of the swap... It was to create a well articulated & refined combination of power (2.5L Schnitzer will do that!), looks (Heck, can you go wrong with Inka & Turbo appearance?!), and handling (for those moments you need to swerve around the bouncy ball in the parade route... ;) ).

Roy's car is a 1 of 1 creation, for a number of reasons, and the final product definitely displays this well!

...and Roy, you know who to call if you ever are ready to sell this... ;)

Cheers,
Chris
m-racer

Post by m-racer »

ChristopherL wrote:I think we can comfortably say that 95% of Roys S14 swap is custom or original. While some aspects may take cue's from previous swaps, almost all items have been improved/adjusted/revised for a better final outcome. The goal was not to simply stuff the S14 into the car and deal with the 'nuances' of the swap... It was to create a well articulated & refined combination of power (2.5L Schnitzer will do that!), looks (Heck, can you go wrong with Inka & Turbo appearance?!), and handling (for those moments you need to swerve around the bouncy ball in the parade route... ;) ).

Roy's car is a 1 of 1 creation, for a number of reasons, and the final product definitely displays this well!

Cheers,
Chris
I think it is fair to say that the intellectual capital from many S14 swaps before this car well defined the problem areas that your Dad's team engineered the solutions for. The thoughtful definition of those problems represents a lot of work and sharing from many of the 2002 community who did the inital swaps on these cars. This is a brilliantly executed car and I mean no disrespect to the work or huge amts of money that it takes to pull something like this off, but it depended on lot's more than just cues from other builds. It certainly was not built in a vacumn. It is the most exciting 2002 I have seen in years and I can't wait to see it in person.
Last edited by m-racer on Aug 05, 2008 9:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

m-racer wrote:
ChristopherL wrote:I think we can comfortably say that 95% of Roys S14 swap is custom or original. While some aspects may take cue's from previous swaps, almost all items have been improved/adjusted/revised for a better final outcome. The goal was not to simply stuff the S14 into the car and deal with the 'nuances' of the swap... It was to create a well articulated & refined combination of power (2.5L Schnitzer will do that!), looks (Heck, can you go wrong with Inka & Turbo appearance?!), and handling (for those moments you need to swerve around the bouncy ball in the parade route... ;) ).

Cheers,
Chris
I think it is fair to say that the intellectual capital from many S14 swaps before this car well defined the problem areas that your Dad's team engineered the solutions for. The thoughtful definition of those problems represents a lot of work and sharing from many of the 2002 community who did the inital swaps on these cars. This is a brilliantly executed car and I mean no disrespect to the work or huge amts of money that it takes to pull something like this off, but it depended on lot's more than just cues from other builds. It certainly was not built in a vacumn. It is the most exciting 2002 I have seen in years and I can't wait to see it.
Thank you both for you well stated comments. This car is a testament to those that came before, i.e., resto-modded '02/S14, and the great work by the talented team at VSR. I will be proud to drive it, call it my own, and gladly recognize those that deserve the credit for helping me with my vision... and, most importantly, provided the creativity and execution that has lead to the final result. :D

-Roy