2002 project car - new pics

Post your photos and videos here!
RoyW

2002 project car - new pics

Post by RoyW »

Stopped by VSR today and the body paint work is completed on the '02 (well almost, still some wet sanding and buffing after the tape and paper are removed). Man, that's a lot of orange!!

Anyway, completed this week was 1 coat color-match primer and sealer, 3 coats base color, and 3 coats clear. Next week the doors, top-side of trunk lid, top-side of hood, wheel arches, and front turbo spoiler get painted Then, it all gets put together and moves to the mechanical area for "assembly" :banana:

The previous weekend I (with a little help from a friend) did the entire interior with Second Skin Audio DamplifierPro, an acoustic vibration damping mat. It took a total of 16 man hours to do the job. Naturally I forgot my camera and didn't get to take any pictures. I was hoping to take some picture of the interior today, but the paper/tape for the body painting was not ready to remove. But, I get some next week and post them.

The vibration damping mat treatment is not for a stereo install (although there will be one!) but rather to help isolated the cabin from the buzzy S14 & associated Gretrag 265 tranny, custom exhaust, and general road noise.

I'll take more pictures of the painted car next week when the doors, etc., are on and the paper & tape are gone, and she has been buffed out.

-RoyW

wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Wow. Even needing some wet sanding and buffing, it looks gorgeous. I can visualize the finished product, but I'm probably way off.
JoshInAtlanta

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

Am I going crazy or this the For Sale/Wanted Cars forum? Please don't tell me you're getting rid of it?!?!?
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Whoops, sorry I put it in the wrong place. :oops:

It was suppose to be in "Eye Candy". Perhaps the Admin can move it for me..... Jeremy, HELP????

-RoyW
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

RoyW wrote:Whoops, sorry I put it in the wrong place. :oops:

It was suppose to be in "Eye Candy". Perhaps the Admin can move it for me..... Jeremy, HELP????
Hmph! Even though the rest of us Beamters are apparently not good enough for you, I went ahead and moved it anyhow. :bawl: :lol:
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Looks great! Any idea on how much all that damping mat weighs?
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

stuartinmn wrote:Any idea on how much all that damping mat weighs?
Here's a contentious thread on the subject.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Shawn D. wrote:
I remember that thread, but I was hoping to hear some actual numbers from Roy.
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

stuartinmn wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:
I remember that thread, but I was hoping to hear some actual numbers from Roy.
I used 120 sq.ft of product and it weighs .5 lbs per sq... therefore, 60 lbs in total is what the installed damping mat weighs (probably a little less, as there was some waste in all the cutting).

While adding weigh is never an objective in a track car... this will be a Sunday driver and a show car. So, I'm not worried about an extra 60 lbs... I'd rather have a quite cabin isolated to some degree from the engine, transmission, exhaust, tire and road noise. :) Plus it will make for a better environment for the premium sound system :D

-RoyW
Tammer in Philly

Post by Tammer in Philly »

RoyW wrote: While adding weigh is never an objective in a track car... this will be a Sunday driver and a show car. So, I'm not worried about an extra 60 lbs... I'd rather have a quite cabin isolated to some degree from the engine, transmission, exhaust, tire and road noise. :) Plus it will make for a better environment for the premium sound system :D
Plus, when you're putting a 240-hp mill in a 2300-lb car, an extra 60 lbs isn't going to kill the fun.

-tammer
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Thanks for the info, I've always been curious about how much a full covering like that would weigh. It should make quite a difference in how the car feels as well - my M535i has a lot of Dynamat in it (installed by the original owner) and it still does a good job of making the car feel nice and solid.