2002 project car in paint phase - new pics

Post your photos and videos here!
RoyW

2002 project car in paint phase - new pics

Post by RoyW »

Went to VSR today to check out the '02 project car... and, all the primer, the block & sanding, and the finish paint work on the underside of the hood & truck lid, inside of trunk, and the engine bay is completed (3 coats of color, couple of clear). Lookin' good :D

The rest of the car will be painted in the next week or so, after a few more issue with body and trim items (turbo flares, spoiler,etc.) are taken care of. We'll be working on installing the interior sound and vibration deadening materials this weekend.

Here's a few pictures.

-RoyW

BudFox

Post by BudFox »

Roy - that looks awesome! I would give anything to do that to my 535i. No question that car's gonna win first place whereever you decide to take it. 8)
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Oh, that is too many beautiful!
InkaCola

Post by InkaCola »

wow Roy, just wow. :shock:
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I do have a question. :wave:

Inka was a single-stage paint, right? I'm curious why you decided to go with a clear. I know it will be impeccably maintained either way, but I'm interested in your thought process.
mogie

Post by mogie »

Looks like an orange skittle :laugh:

Haha looks good Roy, sure is going to be a stunner
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Wow -- it's turning out great every step of the way!
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

wkohler wrote:I do have a question. :wave:

Inka was a single-stage paint, right? I'm curious why you decided to go with a clear. I know it will be impeccably maintained either way, but I'm interested in your thought process.
Chris,

Since this car will not, and was not intended, to be stock, and since it will primarilly be a Sunday driver and show car (not track,etc.) we were going for depth and shine in the finish. Therefore the decision to go with Inka toner and clear coat versus the single stage Inka paint.

-RoyW
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Thanks! I figured it had to do with the depth of color/shine. Looking amazing, as I said before.
mosportgreen66

Post by mosportgreen66 »

wkohler wrote:I do have a question. :wave:

Chris, base coat/clear coat paint was not perfected until somewhere around 1980-1983. Most major auto manufacturers moved to base/clear around those years. For example, GM moved to base/clear in 1982. The main ingredients in single stage, lacquer based paint are proven to be carcinogenic. To paint with lacquer today is incredibly rare as the main consistency of the paint is nothing what it is used to be.

The paint is considerably weaker than base/clear and is seldom used, even when OEM (or original factory) practice calls its use. If a restoration shop offers lacquer in there line up, in my experience they will not offer any guarantees on the work because of the lousiness and inconsistency of the paint. Also, with current paint technology advancing as it is, you can get a base coat/clear coat paint job to appear and feel as if it is lacquer. It takes serious time, effort and money but it can be done.

Roy, the 2002 looks very cool. I dig the period correct color for sure!

-Dan
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter

Post by tsmall07 »

Why did you do color and clear on some parts instead of color completely first and then clear the whole thing later?
mosportgreen66

Post by mosportgreen66 »

tsmall07 wrote:Why did you do color and clear on some parts instead of color completely first and then clear the whole thing later?
Painter's preference but you really can't. The deck lid and hood should be painted flat otherwise gravity will cause the paint to run (more so in a color heavy with metalic). Painting a big item flat is also a sign of a smart body man! Small parts are ok to shoot all in time vertically, but never big parts!