E28 stereo

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
philip1

E28 stereo

Post by philip1 »

I'm just starting to lay plans for a stereo in my E28 I have 3-4 2 channel amps ranging in power from 25W to 90w per channel I'm a bit of an audiophile so big booming bass systems are definately out. I just want the best sound I can get without cutting metal.

if you have a nice system in your e28 let's see them I need ideas.
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

Depending on how much fab work you are willing to do, your options are fairly limited.

I was able to make custom kick panels and stuff some 5.25 MB Quart separates up front, and some custom (by me) Audax 4" separates in the premium rear enclosures with reducer rings for the mid.

I power all this with 3 old school Soundstream amps, 2 Rubicon 300's (75*2) and a Rubicon 500 (bridged to 500*1) my sub is a Elemental Designs SQ10 in a tiny sealed box. I run an OLD Alpine 3339 EQ/Crossover that does the job and sounds great.
The weakest link is my head unit, an couple year old Sony gt-200 that has a great cd transport and a 1/8" aux input on the front that I use for my mp3 player.

Pics.....dammit

For most people though they are not going to fit more than a 4*6 up front with a tweeter in the sail panel. You can of course do much better in the back, but who cares thats just fill.

I have had numerous PM's to show those damn kick panels, I will post them up asap.

Jay3
Mless5

Post by Mless5 »

ElGuappo wrote:
I have had numerous PM's to show those damn kick panels, I will post them up asap.

Jay3

:popcorn:
KillerPM

Post by KillerPM »

This topic has been discussed way too many times....
philip1

Post by philip1 »

and yet there is just one system that has been photographed. I want to see, a parts list is one thing but pictures are so much more
Mark 88/M5 Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Check the eighth post down in this thread: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=27 ... t=mcintosh
Mless5

Post by Mless5 »

Mine is still in the works, but you get general idea. Amp got new ground right under it just today, new mids are coming.

ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

OK dammit, here are some pics.

The kicks were made with 1/4" MDF and backed with either 3/8 or 5/8 plywood for spacing to get a good contact around the speaker hole area.

The amp rack is plywood, I used a 2x4 that I attached to the trunk carpet via aluminum bar stock and screws, then screwed the board to it at the bottom, and into the rear bulkhead at the top. the crappy sub box is a temp solution till I build a low profile under the rear parcel shelf box for 2 of the ED SQ10's.

Happy now?

Jay3
philip1

Post by philip1 »

that's what I was looking for especially the kickpanels and sub enclosure
DRP535

Re: E28 stereo

Post by DRP535 »

philip1 wrote:I'm just starting to lay plans for a stereo in my E28 I have 3-4 2 channel amps ranging in power from 25W to 90w per channel I'm a bit of an audiophile
Well in that case, forget about the car entirely since no car, no matter how much money you spend is ever going to be able to get close to a pair of headphones.

This is what you want
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

I always hate it when the stereo threads just die with no more ideas coming out.....

Jay3
Kameix1

Post by Kameix1 »

I cut holes in my doors and put infinity uniplane 8 inch woofer in there, sounds great
landspeed

Post by landspeed »

Erik J wrote:I cut holes in my doors and put infinity uniplane 8 inch woofer in there, sounds great
Pics please. I was thinking about putting some smaller speakers in the front of the door but how deep can you go and where the least hassle?
Mless5

Post by Mless5 »

landspeed wrote:
Erik J wrote:I cut holes in my doors and put infinity uniplane 8 inch woofer in there, sounds great
Pics please. I was thinking about putting some smaller speakers in the front of the door but how deep can you go and where the least hassle?
Path lengths difference will be yummy!
KillerPM

Post by KillerPM »

Here is how I solved the issue.

Focal front components with custom enclosures. Carpeted to match the car. These pictures are from when it was new 1 year ago. The carpet is closer then the picture makes it seem to be.

Kameix1

Post by Kameix1 »

here are my doors

They stop production on these speakers over 13 years ago, so if you find a set, get them!

Or else you can use a factory bose front door speakers out of Cadillac STS cars

Here are the subwoofers I am going to put under my rear seat also. They are 6.5 inch bose woofers. Originally came out of Chevy suburbans (one per truck) they are identical to the ones found in the high end home theater systems.

landspeed

Post by landspeed »

how much space do you have(depth) between the door panel and the window/track?
Kameix1

Post by Kameix1 »

at the bottom of the hole is 1.5 inches to the window regulator, at the middle/top is 2 inches to the glass