2002tii restomod progress

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
RoyW

2002tii restomod progress

Post by RoyW »

Well, the 2002tii shell I bought a year+ ago is finally starting to make some progress in its journey toward being a restoration-modification "ultimate driving machine". The goal is to drive it in the 2007 4th of July parade in my small town... so we have about 7 months left to get a lot of work done!

Most of the necessary parts are in hand for that which will remain stock, e.g., dash, taillights, headlights, trim pieces, etc. And, a lot of the parts are in hand for that which will be upgraded or modified, e.g., s14 2.5 AC Schnitzer engine, Getrag euro gearbox, custom exhaust, upgraded brakes from later model BMWs (320, etc), BMW 320 Recaro sport seats for the front and a BMW 635 rear seat, turbo wheel flares and front spoiler, etc.

Also, I just received the Ireland Engineering suspension (spring, struts, bushings, swaybars, etc.) that will be used. And, the Revolution 3-piece modular wheels have been ordered.

Frabrication to make the engine, tranny, pedal cluster, driveshaft, exhaust, etc., fit is in progress... as well as installation of the suspension. So, sometime later in the winter, everything will be taken apart for attachment to the rotissory and body preparation and primer painting... and then the finish coat(s) painting. The planned color is Henna Red with black interior.

I'm getting pretty excited seeing thing start to move forward, (now that most of the needed parts have been gathered ...as its been a long time coming) and with the anticipation of the planned progress toward a finished car sometime in the early summer...I hope!!!. I'll keep you informed on progress as well as post some pictures in the coming months.
Yellow2

Post by Yellow2 »

:pics!:
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter

Post by tsmall07 »

Yellow2 wrote::pics!:
x2
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

tsmall07 wrote:
Yellow2 wrote::pics!:
x2
OK, OK, OK... here's a couple just just after I got the shell and the turbo flares and spoiler... not much to look at yet. More to come as progress is made.

-RoyW

juan

Cute!

Post by juan »

Are you going to give it to your boyfriend on your anniversary?
johnnye23

Re: Cute!

Post by johnnye23 »

juan wrote:Are you going to give it to your boyfriend on your anniversary?
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :help: :dunno:
Tammer in Philly

Post by Tammer in Philly »

johnnye23 wrote:
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :help: :dunno:
Ignore Juan, he's one step below fecal matter on the intelligence scale and several steps below on the scale of social grace.

-tammer
m-racer

That's exciting

Post by m-racer »

Roy,Very exciting. You obviously have miles to go before you sleep. If you are really ambitious, you can drive it Vintage at the Vineyards in May. Lots of very exceptional 02's and a good time, if not maybe I'll get to see it in Watkins Glen in Sept.. A couple of thoughts. I really like Henna. Obviously, it's not an 02 color. I saw a Verona car recently that had been lightened and brightened a bit and was pretty close to Henna. The owner blacked out the trim which I thought I would like (like it on Inka) but did not. You obviously have a lot of BMW experience, so forgive these comments if you've already thought through them - just trying to be helpful). I know a lot of people think that the S14 conversion in a 2002 is the ticket. I am not one of them. The S14 engine is a thrasher. It makes a bunch of resonance up through the rev band. In an 02, it's a bunch of vibration. Hell, it's a bunch of vibration in an E30 M3. To me, it is completely uncharacteristic of a 2002. Some people love it however. Just make sure you drive a similar conversion to see if you are happy with it. I had a few custom pieces fabricated on mine (tranny brace, etc.) to absorb some of the vibration. When you get to that point, I will be happy to send you some drawings. You mention a euro gearbox. If it's a cr dogleg box, that will be interesting. I have never seen an S14 conversion with anything other than a 320 5spd. (which obviously fits in the tunnel). What diff are you planning? You also mentioned converting to the 320 brake set up. If you are going with an S14 2.5, you are going to want more brake than that. IE makes a 4 wheel disc setup and there are other options. Good luck and please keep us up to speed. Tim J.
Mless5

Post by Mless5 »

Nice Roy! What happened to wifey's m?
DRP535

Post by DRP535 »

Please kill yourself now.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Sounds like it'll be a very cool little car! I've been following this guy's buildup of an '02 for a while:

http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/view ... hp?t=12091

I don't think he has anything as radical as an s14 engine, but it's pretty neat anyway.
adrian in florida

Post by adrian in florida »

Roy, way to go... Nice touch giving yourself the deadline to drive in the parade....That car will be an intersting drive. I am interested in knowing if you end up with the cr dogleg...Good luck with the project keep us in the loop
Tim in N FL

Post by Tim in N FL »

Hey Roy,
Nice! Looking forward to reading your ongoing updates on this MAJOR project. Hope all is well on your end. Wish you could join us for Sebring HSR this weekend. C'mon down if you're free. Flights are cheap. We'll find room for you somewhere in the camp...
:beer:
Tim
rlomba8204

Post by rlomba8204 »

Looking like a very thorough job. Good luck on the project. It's certainly off to a great start. Very impressed. :beer:
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Looks fun, expensive and like a whole lot of work. And already I can see great potential. Keep us updated as things progress!
RoyW

Re: That's exciting

Post by RoyW »

B9 wrote:Roy,Very exciting. You obviously have miles to go before you sleep. If you are really ambitious, you can drive it Vintage at the Vineyards in May. Lots of very exceptional 02's and a good time, if not maybe I'll get to see it in Watkins Glen in Sept.. A couple of thoughts. I really like Henna. Obviously, it's not an 02 color. I saw a Verona car recently that had been lightened and brightened a bit and was pretty close to Henna. The owner blacked out the trim which I thought I would like (like it on Inka) but did not. You obviously have a lot of BMW experience, so forgive these comments if you've already thought through them - just trying to be helpful). I know a lot of people think that the S14 conversion in a 2002 is the ticket. I am not one of them. The S14 engine is a thrasher. It makes a bunch of resonance up through the rev band. In an 02, it's a bunch of vibration. Hell, it's a bunch of vibration in an E30 M3. To me, it is completely uncharacteristic of a 2002. Some people love it however. Just make sure you drive a similar conversion to see if you are happy with it. I had a few custom pieces fabricated on mine (tranny brace, etc.) to absorb some of the vibration. When you get to that point, I will be happy to send you some drawings. You mention a euro gearbox. If it's a cr dogleg box, that will be interesting. I have never seen an S14 conversion with anything other than a 320 5spd. (which obviously fits in the tunnel). What diff are you planning? You also mentioned converting to the 320 brake set up. If you are going with an S14 2.5, you are going to want more brake than that. IE makes a 4 wheel disc setup and there are other options. Good luck and please keep us up to speed. Tim J.
Tim,

Thanks for you thoughts...all are worth considering. I am still looking at Inka Orange, but since its sort of an M2, I figured Henna was a good choice. We are widening the tunnel to fit the Getrag 265 and I would indeed be interested to see your drawing for extra bracing. We are planning a 345 LSD for the diff. We are planning 4-wheel disc brakes, I mis-spoke about the 320 brakes. Thanks again.

-RoyW
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Mless5 wrote:Nice Roy! What happened to wifey's m?
She still has it. It's bedded down for the winter along with my M5.

-RoyW
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

stuartinmn wrote:Sounds like it'll be a very cool little car! I've been following this guy's buildup of an '02 for a while:

http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/view ... hp?t=12091

I don't think he has anything as radical as an s14 engine, but it's pretty neat anyway.
Stewart,

Thanks for sending that link...very cool car! Hope mine comes out as good.

-RoyW
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Tim in N FL wrote:Hey Roy,
Nice! Looking forward to reading your ongoing updates on this MAJOR project. Hope all is well on your end. Wish you could join us for Sebring HSR this weekend. C'mon down if you're free. Flights are cheap. We'll find room for you somewhere in the camp...
:beer:
Tim
Tim,

Wish I could make it... take some pictures and let us know what a great time you guys had. Maybe next year for me??

-RoyW
C.J.

Post by C.J. »

Too cool.

Just curious, but what's that silver car behind the '02 in the second pic? Looks sorta like a 289 Cobra?
the artisan

Post by the artisan »

RoyW wrote: Thanks for sending that link...very cool car! Hope mine comes out as good RoyW
Roy this might be some inspiration for you as well, Not sure if you know Blunt or not? he helped Bob with his S52 swap in his E30, both their cars were on the Roundel a month or so ago. Anyway He is doing a ground off M2 project and he is big into the 02 m2 scene. Let me know if you need to contact him for any advice or help. He is at the same starting point you are in as I still have to finish his 1 piece leather dash.
Kevin
http://www.m2bmw.com/cooper.htm The m2 gallery is very cool as well.
m-racer

Re: That's exciting

Post by m-racer »

RoyW wrote:
B9 wrote:Roy,Very exciting. You obviously have miles to go before you sleep. If you are really ambitious, you can drive it Vintage at the Vineyards in May. Lots of very exceptional 02's and a good time, if not maybe I'll get to see it in Watkins Glen in Sept.. A couple of thoughts. I really like Henna. Obviously, it's not an 02 color. I saw a Verona car recently that had been lightened and brightened a bit and was pretty close to Henna. The owner blacked out the trim which I thought I would like (like it on Inka) but did not. You obviously have a lot of BMW experience, so forgive these comments if you've already thought through them - just trying to be helpful). I know a lot of people think that the S14 conversion in a 2002 is the ticket. I am not one of them. The S14 engine is a thrasher. It makes a bunch of resonance up through the rev band. In an 02, it's a bunch of vibration. Hell, it's a bunch of vibration in an E30 M3. To me, it is completely uncharacteristic of a 2002. Some people love it however. Just make sure you drive a similar conversion to see if you are happy with it. I had a few custom pieces fabricated on mine (tranny brace, etc.) to absorb some of the vibration. When you get to that point, I will be happy to send you some drawings. You mention a euro gearbox. If it's a cr dogleg box, that will be interesting. I have never seen an S14 conversion with anything other than a 320 5spd. (which obviously fits in the tunnel). What diff are you planning? You also mentioned converting to the 320 brake set up. If you are going with an S14 2.5, you are going to want more brake than that. IE makes a 4 wheel disc setup and there are other options. Good luck and please keep us up to speed. Tim J.
Tim,

Thanks for you thoughts...all are worth considering. I am still looking at Inka Orange, but since its sort of an M2, I figured Henna was a good choice. We are widening the tunnel to fit the Getrag 265 and I would indeed be interested to see your drawing for extra bracing. We are planning a 345 LSD for the diff. We are planning 4-wheel disc brakes, I mis-spoke about the 320 brakes. Thanks again.

-RoyW
Inka would be sweet. I sent you a couple of files of pics that may give you some ideas. Just another random thought, you need to be very careful with the motor mounts as there is usually a problem with plenum clearance on the S14s. Always good to see someone else with the 02 sickness.