e23 progress...

Post your photos and videos here!
leadphut

Re: e23 progress...

Post by leadphut »

wkohler wrote:This is great to see!
x2

gonna look great with the sport seats installed.

keep us updated please!
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

The driver's side seat does not move back and forth. I had to use a square drill bit to manually gain access to the bolts. Can I just replace that motor to make it work (the one that takes the square drill bit)?
derrith

Post by derrith »

Glad to see the car back in your hands, finally. Enjoy!
86GT635

Post by 86GT635 »

It's been a long time since I've had sport seats, but I'm pretty sure that back and forth motor is attached to the frame in such a way that it doesn't come apart. You might just set it where you like it with the drill and it might "wake up" next time you need to move it. I've seen seats that didn't move for years and one day they start working again.

Car looks great man, love the buffalo leather. This is like a 735is now.
Hffvdbl

Post by Hffvdbl »

I want you to know that this car has managed to make me want an E23. Bravo!
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

Looks great!
I can't wait to get our cars together.
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

derrith wrote:Glad to see the car back in your hands, finally. Enjoy!
Can't thank you enough Logan. If it wasn't for you, my car would've been a goner. You're also the main reason why I got an e23 since yours was the first one I've ever seen. :D
86GT635 wrote:It's been a long time since I've had sport seats, but I'm pretty sure that back and forth motor is attached to the frame in such a way that it doesn't come apart. You might just set it where you like it with the drill and it might "wake up" next time you need to move it. I've seen seats that didn't move for years and one day they start working again.

Car looks great man, love the buffalo leather. This is like a 735is now.
Thanks. Looks like I'll just set it and forget it. The seat are normal leather btw... not buffalo.

Hffvdbl wrote:I want you to know that this car has managed to make me want an E23. Bravo!
Get one!
ElGuappo wrote:Looks great!
I can't wait to get our cars together.
Me too... One day soon Jay.

Here's some stuff I've been working on. Dyed the door panels black since I swapped the tan carpet to black.

Also got this idea from some dude on bigcoupe forum.

Since I didn't have matching carpet on the center console pieces, I decided to wrap them matching the door panels.

The result was somewhat underwhelming once I combined the middle console pieces with the door cards... Looked way too busy. Long story short, I'm going to redo the whole thing again.

Instead I'm going to re-do the center console pieces in m-rain fabric and wrap the door cards in black faux leather.
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

OK a couple of things...
where did you get that USB charger? I love it, but since I will be covering my ebrake surround and covering the holes, I'll put it elsewhere.
I see you have your window switches still in the ebrake console, but have the trim pieces with 2 holes installed on either side of the ashtray...wassupwitdat? :dunno:
That fabric IS way too busy, good call on swapping it out. Doesn't go with the anthrazite carpet anyway.

You do realize MY 7 is Logans 7 that got you into this mess? ;)
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

ElGuappo wrote:OK a couple of things...
where did you get that USB charger? I love it, but since I will be covering my ebrake surround and covering the holes, I'll put it elsewhere.
Here's where I got the Ebay charger...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272065255738?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
ElGuappo wrote:I see you have your window switches still in the ebrake console, but have the trim pieces with 2 holes installed on either side of the ashtray...wassupwitdat? :dunno:
The (4) holes near the ashtray are supposed to be (2) window switches and (2) heated seats. The ebrake console is supposed to have the (2) rear window switches, (1) rear window lockout switch, and (1) mystery switch?
Here's a picture of the mystery switch I can't recall it does??? :oops:
ElGuappo wrote:That fabric IS way too busy, good call on swapping it out. Doesn't go with the anthrazite carpet anyway.

You do realize MY 7 is Logans 7 that got you into this mess? ;)
Yep Jay... Wish it was mine but when I asked Logan about it when my e28 got total'd he said you sold the slicktop to you. :D
cddallara

Post by cddallara »

That looks like the window 'breaker' switch?
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

Fixed the window circuit breaker and rear lockout. Also re-did the door panel in faux black leather and replaced the knee panel and glovebox to black... Looks much better now.

Last edited by D Unit on Feb 28, 2016 2:52 AM, edited 1 time in total.
gazm3

Post by gazm3 »

Your e23 looks great. Good to see you give it more loving.

There is just something about the e23 that makes driving fun even with an impossibly tall diff. It must me fun to drive as a manual.
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

gazm3 wrote:Your e23 looks great. Good to see you give it more loving.

There is just something about the e23 that makes driving fun even with an impossibly tall diff. It must me fun to drive as a manual.
I've finally been able to drive the car the passed couple of days and the b35 and manual are very fun to drive. The original plan was to turbo the car, but I don't think that may be necessary anymore... :D

Well... I told you guys I wasn't happy with how the interior came out, so I reluctantly gave it another go... What a fuckin' pain in the ass. I must've taken my interior a part about half a dozen times now... argh.

The old man interior was driving me nuts so the mtech material came just in time...

I am so glad I got the interior over with... I'd rather poke my eye out with a blunt screw driver.

While I was dealing with the interior, I bought a new 5 channel D amp to replace by MB Quartz stuff. I wanted the 5 channel amp to simplify the wiring and be more efficient on my alternator. The amp is so tiny...

First amp rack I've ever made out of velcro...

Amp is well hidden...

This morning I had to re-install my front bumper since the shop only had time to zip tie one of the sides. I've been hoarding a lot of spare parts and Frankenstein my best bumper/chrome pieces...

During the install, I had to cut a piece of the body... Not sure why I didn't have to do this last time but oh well.

Here's the final front bumper... For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to mount the fogs. I went to Home Depot to try to make some custom brackets but FAILED at that too. I'm going to try the gluing/JB weld technique next weekend.
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

Looking really really good!
You are correct about what switches were intended for each location, however I have different plans.
I rerouted my rear window switches to go with the front window switches, all in the center dash, on either side of the ash tray.
I have a manual seat console, so no big cutouts and bulges for the seat controls.
Since I have about 1.5 L7 interiors, I'm going to have the manual ebrake console covered in leather and stitched to match the L7 bits. (the L7 console is for power seats)

I really like the all black door cards, looks sleek. :up:
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

I need a little bit of help guys... Right now my car begins to bog down when I put it under 50-60% load below 2.5K RPM. Once I gently get it passed 3K RPM, I can keep revving it up to WOT. I swapped to a different AFM and still have the exact same symptoms. I ordered a new TPS and FPR from Autohaus but was told it was better to throw an inline gauge to test the fuel pressure. To be honest, not really sure exactly "how" to do that just yet.

Here's a video I took tonight from a stop. If I load up the car above 50 - 60%, the car bogs down badly.
Once I get the car going, I can rev it up to WOT. This is me on the backroads driving smoothly from 45 - 55 mph. Prior to the video I was cruising on the highway from 60 - 70 mph.

Any ideas? Again, car is swapped with a m30b35 running Motronic 1.3 (179 ecu).
brendonoid

Re: e23 progress... (NEED HELP pg. 4)

Post by brendonoid »

It's running cold.

I'm sorry that wasn't funny or helpful.
fastcrs

Post by fastcrs »

I had something similar, same set up. It was a loose crank trigger, tighten it up and haven't had that issue since...hope that helps...
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

brendonoid wrote:It's running cold.
I'm sorry that wasn't funny or helpful.
I wish... lol.

fastcrs wrote:I had something similar, same set up. It was a loose crank trigger, tighten it up and haven't had that issue since...hope that helps...
nope.

Here's an update. MOST if not all this stuff I consider proactive maintenance, so I'm more than willing replacing the old hardware Anyway. I also freely admit my troubleshooting skills are lacking... lol.

1) tried known working AFM.
2) installed new FPR.
3) installed new TPS - Made idle jump and down. Did not fix the bogging/bucking issue. I swapped it back to the old one and idle was normal. Haven't figured out how to properly "adjust" the TPS I guess...
4) new fuel filter. same.
5) new $40 Vega in tank fuel pump from Amazon. same.
6) new Bosch in line fuel pump. same. Really wish I replaced the in tank fuel pump and fuel filter at the same time... doh!
7) Clogged cat? Unplugged the O2 sensor at the harness. Unscrewed the O2 sensor from the pipe. Completely unscrewed the O2 sensor from the pipe and harness. In all conditions, idle got very jumpy and still had bogging issues.

Only other "pro-active maintenance" items left that I can think of that may be related are

**ignition coil - I ordered a new B35 ignition coil to replace the old B34 one. Arriving today (Monday)
**spark plugs - I thought these were new but they were not. New Bosch (7909) WR8LC+ are arriving tomorrow
**new exhaust being installed on Wednesday with new CARB approved Magnaflow cat and single 2.5" piping.
**fuel injectors - Currently shopping for a refurbished set.

If none of this resolves the bogging/bucking issue, I'm afraid I will need to take it to a professional shop.
stoney

Post by stoney »

Wise idea to refresh the plugs and injectors as a starting point for diagnosing issues, always a futile effort if the basics aren't covered initially.

Also check for any vacuum leaks, replace any worn hoses, check valve clearances, clean any electrical connections, clean all earth points on the car/chassis, check plug lead resistances.
Spen

Post by Spen »

D Unit, I just purchased a B35 E34 535i powered BMW and the issue was the crank position sensor came loose from its mount and rubbed against the balancer and fried the ECU. The shop it was at said the engine needed to be dismantled to find out why. There is a BMW TSB Technical Service Bulletin that states that the crank position wheel must be checked for tightness every time maintenance is done. The book says 1mm of clearance.

I cleaned the aluminum mount and added locktite and tightened it down nicely using a feeler gauge set to a sandwich of about 1mm.

In no way am I saying that this is your issue, all I am saying is the one fellow who commented about the crank position sensor proximity to the harmonic balancer pointed out an incredibly important point about the B35 fuel management design (to check tolerance ~1mm) and to make sure it's tight.

Your troubleshooting so far seems very thorough. I will re-read and see if I can contribute anything worthwhile other than this chime in tidbit.
Spen

Post by Spen »

I'd check the distributor cap and rotor. Sometimes the caps can crack. I had an 86 635 that started up and ran fine when I bought it after sitting a long while, but wouldn't restart. It felt as is the engine was turning backwards almost, or firing at the wrong time. I cleaned the water out of the distributor cap at the gas station (had some basic tools with me, buying a junk car and all) and it ran great all the way home. I am not saying this water issue is yours, but it easily could be something wrong with distributor cap and rotor. Which would fit into maintenance. Expensive maintenance tho, prepare for another $100 plus!
Spen

Post by Spen »

One last thing. I had an E28 535i and I replaced the intake elbow with one from URO parts. Ok, different car but it's useful as an anecdote.

I thought, hey what's the harm in a URO elbow? Well, plenty it turned out. I was driving around fine, and then the car started losing power and only making it forward when I was barely on the throttle. Smoking like hell out the exhaust. I was nervous, as it was late and I was on the highway and many years ago now. I pulled over and right there the damned intake elbow was being sucked in by the engine vacuum and was strangling the air coming in. The intake elbow was so weak that the vacuum of the engine just sucked it to death (!).

If I have an E28 that is running intolerably like shit, I usually assume it's the ECU. I'd at least give a spare 179 ECU a shot. However, I did see someone claim that a coil fixed up their similar issue. Best of luck. I just love that E23 - a less loved but strong car. Might be just about the biggest old bargain vehicle out there. Look how sweet you made it!
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

Update (added #8)
1) tried known working AFM.
2) installed new FPR.
3) installed new TPS - Made idle jump and down. Did not fix the bogging/bucking issue. I swapped it back to the old one and idle was normal. Haven't figured out how to properly "adjust" the TPS I guess...
4) new fuel filter. same.
5) new $40 Vega in tank fuel pump from Amazon. same.
6) new Bosch in line fuel pump. same. Really wish I replaced the in tank fuel pump and fuel filter at the same time... doh!
7) Clogged cat? Unplugged the O2 sensor at the harness. Unscrewed the O2 sensor from the pipe. Completely unscrewed the O2 sensor from the pipe and harness. In all conditions, idle got very jumpy and still had bogging issues.
8) Not the ignition coil... replaced the old b34 one with a new Bosch b35 ignition coil.

Only other "pro-active maintenance" items left that I can think of that may be related are

**spark plugs - I thought these were new but they were not. New Bosch (7909) WR8LC+ are arriving tomorrow
**new exhaust being installed on Wednesday with new CARB approved Magnaflow cat and single 2.5" piping.
**fuel injectors - sourced a set from a member that priority shipping to me. they are stock injectors refurb'd by MPEH.

[/quote]
stoney wrote:Wise idea to refresh the plugs and injectors as a starting point for diagnosing issues, always a futile effort if the basics aren't covered initially.

Also check for any vacuum leaks, replace any worn hoses, check valve clearances, clean any electrical connections, clean all earth points on the car/chassis, check plug lead resistances.
New plugs will be here tomorrow. I also have a set of MPEH refurbished stock injectors being priority mailed to me tomorrow. The shop did a good job of making sure there were vacuum leaks but I do have an exhaust leak for sure, which is why I'm upgrading my entire exhaust. From my understanding, an exhaust leak won't cause bogging/bucking, right?
Spen wrote:D Unit, I just purchased a B35 E34 535i powered BMW and the issue was the crank position sensor came loose from its mount and rubbed against the balancer and fried the ECU. The shop it was at said the engine needed to be dismantled to find out why. There is a BMW TSB Technical Service Bulletin that states that the crank position wheel must be checked for tightness every time maintenance is done. The book says 1mm of clearance.

I cleaned the aluminum mount and added locktite and tightened it down nicely using a feeler gauge set to a sandwich of about 1mm.

In no way am I saying that this is your issue, all I am saying is the one fellow who commented about the crank position sensor proximity to the harmonic balancer pointed out an incredibly important point about the B35 fuel management design (to check tolerance ~1mm) and to make sure it's tight.

Your troubleshooting so far seems very thorough. I will re-read and see if I can contribute anything worthwhile other than this chime in tidbit.
Just to be clear, this is the crank position sensor, right?
12141720857, 12141720853, 12141714763, 12141710519
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-cr ... 2141720853

There's a 5mm allen bolt that holds it down. I turned it so tight I'm afraid I'm going to strip it. It was oily as shit tho... caked with oil. Do these go bad? Is this another maintenance sensor?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Yes, that's the crank sensor. One thing I do know about those is not to use a Febi.
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

wkohler wrote:Yes, that's the crank sensor. One thing I do know about those is not to use a Febi.
Is it Facet a safe brand? I was recently told the m30b35 was running great before it was pulled from an accident.

Does this part list look okay? I'm trying to be somewhat frugal and purchasing from AutohausAZ. Not really sure on the Facet and Karlyn brands...