FS: 1983 635CSi - Euro/hc - Arctic/P.B. - Excellent - NJ

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
cgraff

FS: 1983 635CSi - Euro/hc - Arctic/P.B. - Excellent - NJ

Post by cgraff »

635CSI for sale

This car will soon be posted on Bring-a-Trailer.

It’s live on BAT!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-bmw-635csi-3/

Thanks for looking and the nice words!

-Chris
Last edited by cgraff on Jul 11, 2018 7:52 AM, edited 8 times in total.
tschultz

Re: FS: 1983 635CSi - Euro/hc - Arctic/P.B. - Excellent - NJ

Post by tschultz »

Cool car, wondered what you had been working on lately!
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Chris:

Looks like a very pretty car and a fine job on the restoration. Terrific color combo. You should also put this on the bigcoupe board. Just checked and didn't see it there.

Good luck with the sale! Might be a good candidate for BAT, as I'm sure you have already considered.

Regards,
Mike
cgraff

Post by cgraff »

Thanks guys.

Yes, it'll go on the national and local CCA, BCG, and craiglists websites soon, and I will try on GCSFB features as well. If it doesn't sell through those, maybe it'll end up on BAT.

-Chris
Ken M

Post by Ken M »

That's an amazing car, Chris! Wish I were in the market, that's exactly the kind of car I'd be interested in.
GLWS,
Ken
cgraff

Post by cgraff »

I took it out today for some additional photos.

I replaced the ICV with a new old stock unit, but I think it needs a throttle plate adjustment to kick up the idle speed a touch. I also diagnosed the ABS as the right rear sensor, which is now on order and will be replaced. And I noticed the low speed aux fan wasn't working when I had the AC on (although high speed tested fine). I diagnosed and replaced the resistor with a spare I had in my stock, and now the low speed fan works again.

Ad description and website will be updated with additional pictures.
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Car just hit GCFSB with a very nice write-up. :D
Ken M

Post by Ken M »

Sorry for being so out of the loop... what is this site GCFSB?
gray635

Post by gray635 »

German Cars for Sale Blog.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Wow. That's a stunner. And a great ad as always. GLWS!
BuzzBomb

Post by BuzzBomb »

cgraff wrote: Specifications:
• Pistons were NOS BMW 92.25mm oversize, with new OE piston rings
There is no such animal as a 92.25mm piston in our cars. In this case, yours would be a 92.22mm piston (that would go into a 92.25mm hole).

• Reground camshaft to OE specifications
Are you sure about that? A cam was reground to OE? I think something may have been lost in translation, since nobody would willingly do that.
cgraff

Post by cgraff »

BuzzBomb wrote:
cgraff wrote: Specifications:
• Pistons were NOS BMW 92.25mm oversize, with new OE piston rings
There is no such animal as a 92.25mm piston in our cars. In this case, yours would be a 92.22mm piston (that would go into a 92.25mm hole).
Ah yes, I meant to say NOS BMW 92.22mm pistons (PN: 11251286437), which is a 0.25mm overbore. And new OE Piston rings (PN: 11251714385)
BuzzBomb wrote:
cgraff wrote: • Reground camshaft to OE specifications
Are you sure about that? A cam was reground to OE? I think something may have been lost in translation, since nobody would willingly do that.
Not sure what you mean by "no one would willingly do that." Regrinding cams is normal machine work any good motor shop would do for cams that are worn or scuffed. The OE specs here refer to the overlap and lift and ramp profile specifications. We didn't do anything like adding more lift or doing 284 degree or 292 or something else. So it was relatively light machine work. It's all on record and above board from reputable and renowned shop:

http://www.m535i.org/635csi/2018_record ... 20_web.jpg
BuzzBomb

Post by BuzzBomb »

What I was alluding to was that nobody would take a worn cam and regrind it to its original specs, especially to a stock profile when material is missing (worn). You would have to add material, then grind it down to previous spec and not just “any good motor shop” has that ability. Why would somebody make an investment like that when you could buy an equivalent cam that hasn’t been compromised for less than all the labor involved? Those cams are plentiful and common in good condition.
Anyway, I question logic. But as anyone here that knows me knows, that’s what I do. :beer:
And what’s even more disturbing is that you spent ten large on rebuilding an oem spec m30, including being charged for the thread locker he used. That’s just weird (on their part).
cgraff

Post by cgraff »

For full disclosure, the cam was kept due to the fact that we wanted to maintain as much originality to the motor since it was a close # to the car (see stamps on the motors in the photo gallery). Sure, one can swap in a M30 B35 head and/or build anything you want - but the goal was to get a car/engine combination close to original spec. The european market (non cat) M30 B34 motor in the 6-series underwent a few changes in its mid-production (around '84). That change included the DME, harness, and the ignition system (among other things). The early ones had a push-on style rotor vs. the later one which had the bolt on style rotor. This means the cams are different on the end. See: PN 11311271383 on the early motors vs. 11311287606 which is the later style. A new cam from BMW is very expensive. Used ones are not plentiful, whereas the US-market/low compression cam is available. The engine and head were the early style, so we maintained that, and the cost to repair the cam was reasonable compared to the alternatives. We then used the later style motronic unit with the correct engine harness, which was a straight swap.

If there are any concerns, I would suggest you discuss this with Mr. M Car. They are highly reputable and one of the handful of builders/shops in the US that are well trusted within the community to do M-motors and M10-M30 series motors, akin to the Mario Langston's, Ron Checca, and VAC.
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

cgraff wrote:
BuzzBomb wrote:
cgraff wrote: • Reground camshaft to OE specifications
Not sure what you mean by "no one would willingly do that." Regrinding cams is normal machine work any good motor shop would do for cams that are worn or scuffed. The OE specs here refer to the overlap and lift and ramp profile specifications. We didn't do anything like adding more lift or doing 284 degree or 292 or something else. So it was relatively light machine work. It's all on record and above board from reputable and renowned shop:
I just had this done to a cam that was worn in the M90s head I was rebuilding. Metal was added to the worn lobe and OEM profile was reground. It was quick and easy. Cheaper than a replacement and far easier than finding the right used unit for a 39 year old Euro engine. Is it the "best" solution, IDK

Beautiful car, Lots of unique features. Amazing ad! GLWS

Last bumped by cgraff on Jul 11, 2018 7:52 AM.